Cannot expand distribution group

Question

• I'm running OCS 2007 R2 server Standard, CWA and edge server. Everything was working fine internally. Now if a client has a distibution list added to their contact list, Communicator ask for a password when it starts up and it doesn't take the regular AD password. If I click cancel, it loads and connects, but the Distribution group cannot be expanded and it gives this error:

Use of the distribution group service is restricted and requires specific

permissions.  Contact your system administrator to request the required

permissions.

The strage thing is that if I log in using CWA the distribution group works properly. It seems to be some permission or authentication error, but I can't pinpoint. Any help would be appreciated.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:05 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the quick reply Jeff.

It's fixed now. I had to reinstall the Web Components on the FE. At one point I had CWA intstalled on the same box as the FE using 2 different IP's and certificates. It worked at that time, but I then decided to follow MS suggestions and move CWA on a separate server. Uninstalling CWA from the FE probably broke somenthing.
    • Marked as answer by MaxNJI Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:22 PM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:22 PM

All replies

• I've seen this behavior before when the service account passwords expired and only the Services were updated with the new password.  The IIS App Pool also needs to be updated with the new account credentials, hence the additional prompt for valid credentials.

Take a look at this blog article for more details, assuming that is your root cause: http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=66

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:30 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply Jeff.

It's fixed now. I had to reinstall the Web Components on the FE. At one point I had CWA intstalled on the same box as the FE using 2 different IP's and certificates. It worked at that time, but I then decided to follow MS suggestions and move CWA on a separate server. Uninstalling CWA from the FE probably broke somenthing.
    • Marked as answer by MaxNJI Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:22 PM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:22 PM