Live Mesh Placeholder Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there a way of getting confirmation from anyone at Microsoft confirming the "deletion" of a file. It seems that on working on a document for my university and saving it the machine I was working on must have crashed or Mesh failed or something because on going back to look at this document all that appears (on the Desktop and all sync devices) is a placeholder and a message stating the file failed to upload correctly.

Is there are way of having this confirmed (if I confirm the file name etc.) so that it does not appear as though I am using the technical version of "the dog ate my homework"?

Thanks.
    Scott
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 12:14 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the advice. Alas the machine that I suspect of doing it was a work laptop which has subsequently been rebuilt. Ultimately this is a combination of me being silly (using a beta product to keep work "safe") and annoying coincidence. I presume your answer suggests that seeking a statement from Microsoft support confirming time and date of the "corruption" isn't possible?

Cheers,
    Scott
    Monday, February 1, 2010 9:05 AM

All replies

• Check the Recycle Bin for the older version of the file on the other devices.
    You can also check for the file in the Holding Area:
    On my Windows 7 machine, the path is (this is a hidden folder branch):
    \Users\{user}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\GacBase\HoldingArea
    It should be same on Vista.
    On XP, it would be the Local Settings hidden folder under the Windows UserID.

Note that you should always have a backup of data in the Mesh located outside of the Mesh folders since this is a Beta service/product....

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:21 PM
  • Thanks for the advice. Alas the machine that I suspect of doing it was a work laptop which has subsequently been rebuilt. Ultimately this is a combination of me being silly (using a beta product to keep work "safe") and annoying coincidence. I presume your answer suggests that seeking a statement from Microsoft support confirming time and date of the "corruption" isn't possible?

Cheers,
    Scott
    Monday, February 1, 2010 9:05 AM
  • I marked your reply as the answer - basically because you rebuilt the machine.

Submitting a bug report with logs (not really possible since you rebuilt the PC, so logs are gone) would be an option, but that doesn't mean that you'll get a response. If it revealed a bug that could be reproduced, it would be assigned to the developers to address. There isn't support for Live Mesh since it is a beta product.

Based on your description of the results, what probably happened is that Live Mesh was in process of updating the file throughout your Mesh and something went wrong, so the transfer was ended mid-stream, causing the placeholder issue. As I noted in the original reply, the file should have been in the recycle bin on the originating PC and possibly other PCs in the Mesh. Or, it could have existed in the Holding Area.

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, February 1, 2010 1:35 PM