Did I just brick my server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all - Please tell me someone may help.

I've installed new memory and two new hard drives in my server following the tutorial from here
    Upgrade the Memory in your HP EX470 or EX475
    http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2007/12/upgrade-memory-in-your-hp-ex470.html

Ive followed these instructions to the tee, even went and bought the #00 screwdriver - Wow that made it much easier.
    My problem now is when I put it all back together i get nothing.

The Health indicator light blinks red/purple and thats it.  Anyone have an idea what that means.  It's not even one of the combos of flash in the manual. 

Please tell me I did not just brick my little server that I've spend a week putting files on :(

I replaced the memory with Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) then got the red/purple flash.  At the same time I added 2 new drives. 

I did label drives as I took them out to make sure I put them back correctly. 

Any help or leads would be Greatly appreciated!!

I've put the original memory back in and still get the red/purple flashing and no activity otherwise.

Help if you can, please.

Thanks
    Jerr

Friday, November 7, 2008 1:04 PM

Answers

• In the end I was unable to restore the server using the original drives.  As I had already had so much trouble with them and one was marked as failing or unhealthy before I started my upgrades I opted to use my 2 new drives and do a clean restore back to factory defaults.

This went flawless and when she booted up I immediatly saw the memory upgrade improvements.  Even with nothing loaded there was improvement.

Now shes loaded with the add-ins that I had and I'm working to see what I can do to recovery my data from the disks that I removed, and ultimatly return the bad disks to HP.
    • Marked as answer by jbeechii Saturday, November 8, 2008 11:06 AM
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 11:05 AM

All replies

• Have you tried removing the 2 new hard drives, thus restoring the machine to the last known working configuration?
    Friday, November 7, 2008 3:05 PM
  • yes, tried that -- no luck

Ive even made it through the first part of a restore, but the status light on the server stays flashing red/purple so I can not go on.  Im totally stuck now.

My current state is 2 hard drives are out, purchased memory is in.  Server Recovery says Server Recovery Complete and has launched the HP MediaSmart Server Setup software.  Taht says IMPORTANT: Dont click next until you server is connected to your home network and the bottom right LED on your server is either solid blue or solid purple.

The darn light continues to flash red/purple.

Did I mention how bad my head hurts....

Friday, November 7, 2008 7:08 PM
  • jbeechii said:

Hi all - Please tell me someone may help.

I've installed new memory and two new hard drives in my server following the tutorial from here
    Upgrade the Memory in your HP EX470 or EX475
    http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2007/12/upgrade-memory-in-your-hp-ex470.html

Ive followed these instructions to the tee, even went and bought the #00 screwdriver - Wow that made it much easier.
    My problem now is when I put it all back together i get nothing.

The Health indicator light blinks red/purple and thats it.  Anyone have an idea what that means.  It's not even one of the combos of flash in the manual. 

Please tell me I did not just brick my little server that I've spend a week putting files on :(

I replaced the memory with Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) then got the red/purple flash.  At the same time I added 2 new drives. 

I did label drives as I took them out to make sure I put them back correctly. 

Any help or leads would be Greatly appreciated!!

I've put the original memory back in and still get the red/purple flashing and no activity otherwise.

Help if you can, please.

Thanks
    Jerr

Jerr,
     Need a little more information. I understand you installed new hardware, memory and 2 more Hds. And you have done a srever re installation? And your now your network health status is red? If this is the case you can log into your console and the click on Network Critical status and it will tell you what the problem is. I understand you have a HP Server there is a website that is kinda dedicated to HP Servers Here . also if you are not connected to your network, if you did do a re install, you would need to install your drivers for your NIC (Net interface card) to get you back online with your clients. Hope this helps.

Mark G. 
    Friday, November 7, 2008 8:36 PM
  •  Well, I have not finished the restore to my server yet.  the HP Restore software is up to the point where it will reinstall server software, but it warns to not continue till the bottom right LED is solid blue or purple.  I cant get to that point - Im stuck at flashing red/purple so far.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 9:49 PM
  • In the end I was unable to restore the server using the original drives.  As I had already had so much trouble with them and one was marked as failing or unhealthy before I started my upgrades I opted to use my 2 new drives and do a clean restore back to factory defaults.

This went flawless and when she booted up I immediatly saw the memory upgrade improvements.  Even with nothing loaded there was improvement.

Now shes loaded with the add-ins that I had and I'm working to see what I can do to recovery my data from the disks that I removed, and ultimatly return the bad disks to HP.
    • Marked as answer by jbeechii Saturday, November 8, 2008 11:06 AM
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 11:05 AM
  • Hi,
    to recover your data or try it at least, attach the disk to any PC (or to the server without integrating it into the storage, if you have an USB to SATA/IDE connector kit) and toggle the Explorer option to show hidden files and folders, you will be able to copy the files from DE\shares subfolders to the shared folders on server (use the shortcut on desktop, do not copy directly to disk!).
    Good luck
    Olaf

Saturday, November 8, 2008 12:14 PM
  • jbeechii said:

In the end I was unable to restore the server using the original drives.  As I had already had so much trouble with them and one was marked as failing or unhealthy before I started my upgrades I opted to use my 2 new drives and do a clean restore back to factory defaults.

The passage highlighted above was the critical piece of information. You will normally not be able to perform a server reinstallation or recovery with a failing drive installed, for reasons which should be obvious (read/write errors, timeouts, corrupted files, etc.).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 3:04 PM