conference two calls? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

When I have two calls with two distinctive parties, I some times like to do one of the following: transfer one call into the other (so that my two conversation partners end up talking to each other), or join the two calls to have an ad-hoc 3 party conference.

I managed to do the former but not the latter - no matter what I try, instead of joining the calls, the call from which I try to add a participant turns into a three party conference and the party that is joining is getting another inbound call so he/she has to disconnect the current call with me and take the new incoming call (and god forbid the person can only have one active call my outbound conference invitation call either goes to voicemail or returns busy).

Is there any way to join the two calls into a conference like you do on traditional (analog/digital/VoIP) PBX systems?

Regards
    Stephan
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 11:42 AM

All replies

• OCS does not support all PBX features!
    OCS sometimes has a different way in doing things.

Can't you just drag and drop the user into the current conversation?
    You can make someone else the leader and disconnect from the conference.
    - Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-exchange.be -
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 10:03 AM
  • It's very unintuitive if I'm on a call, figure out I need to call somebody else (why my original conversation partner stays on the line), then during my second call we realize that we need to all talk each other and then I have to terminate the call and set up another (dragging and dropping the contact into the call will set up an outbound call to the dropped user... .so this sets up another call... now if that user is an external user and does not have camp-on, I'll get a busy signal into the conference (and if there's camp on, the other person will have to terminate the active call then answer the new call)... so I have to first hang up, then drag & drop the contact).

And joining two calls together into a conference is a basic SIP RFC 3261 feature - a $300 SIP PBX can do this.
    Friday, August 7, 2009 9:04 AM
  • Technically you are correct Stephan, and we are working on that. However we have not had any significant real life customer negatively impacted by the roundabout way we do it so far.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 7:35 PM