Stable OS? RRS feed

• Question

• Since moving to Vista Business x64 i've had to contend with compatibility issues, not only with hardware but with software as well. I've bought new hardware to run with Vista (so its effectively cost me more than the OS straight away).

As time goes on i am getting more and more of the programs that were working shutting themselves down and restarting because "windows is protecting my system", what the *** does that mean? oh, sorry mate, you're going to lose your work!

Vista takes ages to boot up in the mornings, sometimes up to 20 minutes! and i don't really have lots of programs starting up either.

I have a 64 bit dual core machine with 4Gb of fast ram and its running like my old windows 98 laptop!!!

What the *** is going on?

Is there any way i can exchange my falling apart Vista for the old stable Windows 2000 workstation?

Vista does look pretty but it just isn't reliable enough for a work station.

There isn't a complaints department anywhere to be seen.

If you call the help lines you have to speak a foreign language!

So, questions:

1) Are the compatibility issues going to be resolved any time in the future

2) Is there any way of stopping the system from asking me if i want to run something "i've just pressed it haven't i!!! of course i want to run it"

3) Is there an MS complaints department

4) Can i get my OS exchanged for one thats stable

5) Are any of the updates going to make the OS quicker

Anyway, i doubt this will get picked up by anyone who can actually do anything for me.

So, rant over, back to the old Vista.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 12:01 PM

Answers

• Uncle Chunk,

It is not surprising that your Vista Biz 64-bit installation of Vista has compatibility problems with older software and hardware.

It is not because you are running Vista, it is because you ar running a 64 bit OS.  My expectation is that because so few software and hardware vendors have really put any effort into developing reliable 64 bit versions of their products, anyone running a 64 bit installation of either XP or Vista has got to expect the natural fallout from being on the bleeding edge."

As an experiment, use the 32 bit version of Vista with the same hardware and software.  My guess is that it'll work just fine.  Because you are ready to punt a 64 bit OS for an ancient 32bit OS like W2K, you really don't need to be running a 64 bit OS.  You're suffering a lot of pain for little or no gain.

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:20 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Carl-S Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carl-S Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:19 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Carl-S Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carl-S Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:09 AM
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:23 PM

All replies

• For Windows Vista assistance, please post your questions in one of the appropriate TechNet forums:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=204&SiteID=17

• Proposed as answer by Carl-S Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:09 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Carl-S Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:09 AM
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:02 PM
  • Uncle Chunk,

It is not surprising that your Vista Biz 64-bit installation of Vista has compatibility problems with older software and hardware.

It is not because you are running Vista, it is because you ar running a 64 bit OS.  My expectation is that because so few software and hardware vendors have really put any effort into developing reliable 64 bit versions of their products, anyone running a 64 bit installation of either XP or Vista has got to expect the natural fallout from being on the bleeding edge."

As an experiment, use the 32 bit version of Vista with the same hardware and software.  My guess is that it'll work just fine.  Because you are ready to punt a 64 bit OS for an ancient 32bit OS like W2K, you really don't need to be running a 64 bit OS.  You're suffering a lot of pain for little or no gain.

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:20 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Carl-S Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carl-S Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:19 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Carl-S Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carl-S Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:09 AM
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:23 PM