none
recovering data from WHS v1 server back up drive reformatted at data drive used in pool RRS feed

• Question

• While trying to recover from a failing drive in my D pool, I inadvertently added my most recent "server back up" drive into the pool of Drive Extender. I believe it was removed before any new data was added to it or any data was "rebalanced" to it. I am hoping that a master file table was simply removed and the data on it is recoverable. Adding the drive into an XP Pro client recognizes the drive as "REMOVED" and contains only a hidden folder named DE which contains a 1 KB hidden text file named DEguid.

Any assistance would be appreciated. I am currently scaning the drive with DiskInternals Partition Recovery to see if it recognizes any files. Does anyone know of any specific recovery software for WHS v1?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:22 PM

All replies

• There is no recovery software that I know of that specifies Windows Home Server as a specifically supported OS. There really doesn't need to be, however, since server drives are formatted (or reformatted) using NTFS and nothing very special is done with them.

If you like the tool you're using, stick with it. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Ken, can you help me to understand if I need partition recovery software or data recovery software. It looks as if some of the data is still intact but maynot have files names accompanying it. I'm wondering if I need to rebuild the MFT or if recovering the data is my best option. Thanks

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:53 PM
  • Honestly, I'm not the best one to ask. I keep backups off site, which prevents exactly the sort of issue you're experiencing. And I recommend everyone else do likewise.

As a result, I don't have a need for data recovery. What I'd probably do in your shoes is download trials of a couple of highly recommended, highly reviewed programs, maybe one or two of each type, and see what they told me they could recover (if only I would spend some money :) ). Then I'd pick the one that looked like the end result would be least troublesome to retrieve.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:06 PM