cannot access copied or moved files RRS feed

• Question

• When I copy or move files or folders the copy will not open usually displaying access denied. the read only box is ticked & greyed, this I cannot change. I am using XP SP3
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 9:13 PM

Answers

• Hi A70MIC
    I went to control/users & I am logged as administrator.I then restarted in safe mode & logged on, right clicked the my documents,properties/security/advanced/owner & clicked my name as administrator, ticked the box "Replace owner on subcontainers & objects, clicked ok & yes to "do you want to replace permissions  to granting full control
    Unfortunately the folders still have the read only box ticked & greyed
    • Marked as answer by weeamy Friday, August 28, 2009 10:20 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 10:13 AM

All replies

• Hello Weeamy,

for a more prompt reply try the windows XP SP3 forum.

you have a limited user account.

if you are on a domain see your administrator.

if you are part of workgroup see the owner of the computer or if you own the computer login as the local admin and perform the required permission changes

you could also make your user account part of the administrators group (while logged in as local admin)
    Friday, August 28, 2009 5:44 AM
  • Hi A70MIC
    Thank you for your suggestions.I am the only one on this computer so I thought I would be also administrator, sorry but I am not very knowledgeable in these matters
    Friday, August 28, 2009 8:50 AM
  • you will be able to check things out by going to the control pannel and then to User accounts.

you can find a good tutorial here:

this may not be the problem but is most likely IMO
    Friday, August 28, 2009 8:53 AM
  • Hi A70MIC
    I went to control/users & I am logged as administrator.I then restarted in safe mode & logged on, right clicked the my documents,properties/security/advanced/owner & clicked my name as administrator, ticked the box "Replace owner on subcontainers & objects, clicked ok & yes to "do you want to replace permissions  to granting full control
    Unfortunately the folders still have the read only box ticked & greyed
    • Marked as answer by weeamy Friday, August 28, 2009 10:20 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 10:13 AM
  • Hello weeamy,

Your question would probably get more attention in the Windows XP newsgroups:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups.mspx
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, August 28, 2009 3:17 PM
  • Hi
    thank you all for your help
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 9:57 AM