Can not import mny file RRS feed

• Question

• I have the UK Microsoft Money Version 2004. I run money on my Vista Computer. I always make a backup which has the form of  mny and mbf format. I recently acquired a laptop running windows 10. I installed Microsoft money on my laptop. Exactly the same 2004 UK version. When I tried to import the accounts I get the message:

Qdatabackup.mny cannot be imported. Please confirm that you have the correct file.

Backup.mbf cannot be imported. Please confirm that you have the correct file.

Why I get that message? Could you please help me?

Thursday, February 25, 2016 9:37 AM

All replies

1. Your data files must be in the Documents area, not the Money default Program Files (x86) area.
    2. If the Money version is 2004 UK just open the copied .mny file with Money 2004. The file does not need to be imported.
    3. Are you sure you have Money 2004 UK (Money 12) and not Money 2005 UK (Money 14, released in 2004)? If you have Money 2005, see the second post in this forum for the updated version you will need.
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:05 PM
  • Use File->Restore to bring in a backup. File->Import is for .QIF files.
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:33 PM
  • You are right. I didn’t have to import the file. I just clicked on the .mny file and it opened on Money. It does work fine. I much appreciate your help. The only thing I’d like to ask is that when I save the file it saves it on documents folder. That what the path shows. However both the exe file of Microsoft Money and the .mny file are on the desktop. On my Vista computer it is on the documents folder but on my Windows 10 laptop it is on the desktop. And if I’m correct there is not a documents folder on windows 10. Well at least I can’t find that. It would be better not to be on the desktop as it is now but because I’m new to windows 10 I’m still learning it.

Nevertheless I’m pleased that Money works on windows 10. Thank you Dominic. You save me from headaches.  I’ve been using Money for 14 years.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 2:33 PM
  • Your user data is at C:\Users\<username>, just as it was in Vista. Money should have been installed in its default location C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money. The icon on your Desktop is a shortcut to the Money executable.

The default presentation in Windows 10 File Explorer is very different from Vista. If you expand "This PC" you will see shortcuts.

It is important to include your user data in one of Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures or Videos because these are the areas that are backed up as irreplaceable information. Desktop includes shortcuts to programs, and may include other shortcuts, but should not contain any user data. The underlying assumption is that if you lost your system the hardware could be replaced and programs reinstalled. You would have your user data (which only you can specify) safely backed up somewhere to be recovered. Your user data should include installation files for any programs which are no longer available or replaceable.

Some settings are stored in your Microsoft (and Google or other cloud provider's) Account.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 3:50 PM
  • Unfortunately I have to come back to you asking for help. I did find the documents folder on windows 10. It’s a bit different to Vista that is why I got confused at the first place.  The problem is that when I close the application Money does not save the file. In my Vista computer after entering some transactions I close Microsoft Money and automatically Money saves the work without the need for me to go to File Menu and click on Back Up. That’s what I’ve been doing for years. Money automatically saves the work when I close the application by clicking on the “X” symbol on the upper right hand side of the application.  On my windows 10 laptop though when I click on “X” symbol Money asks to make a back up. I don’t make a back up thinking that it would save the work automatically as it does on my Vista machine. But it does not save the work. The application is closed. The weird thing is that although I close the application, Money is still running. However, it does not appear on the desktop neither does appear on the taskbar.  When I try to turn off the laptop a message comes up saying that Money is running and I need to save the work first before turning off the laptop. However, Money does not appear on the desktop neither on the task bar. Why is this happening on my windows 10 laptop?

Thursday, February 25, 2016 4:47 PM
  • You have made a clean install of Money, so the customised settings you had in Vista are not brought forward.

Go to Tools - Settings in Money and set Money up as you want, especially Backup.

I think you have Money Express -  a component of Money 2004 UK - running and it is this (unneeded) app which is causing confusion on Windows 10 shutdown.

You could upgrade, free, to Money 2005 UK. See the installer in the second post in this forum. Money 2005 does not include Money Express.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 5:33 PM
  • The Money version I have in both Vista and Windows 10 is this:

Version 14.0.120.1105 Copyright 2004 Microsoft

This is the newest version istn't it?

Thursday, February 25, 2016 6:08 PM
  • You have Money 2005 UK, the latest UK version.

You said you had Money 2004 UK.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 6:11 PM
  • The Money version I have in both Vista and Windows 10 is this:

Version 14.0.120.1105 Copyright 2004 Microsoft

This is the newest version istn't it?

Yes. That is Money 2005.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2993360/windows/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-saving-files-to-onedrive.html seems to give some useful info regarding the Documents folder.

DominicP, is copying your things in your Documents (or whatever replaces it) folder to Onedrive  what you were referring to when you said "It is important to include your user data in one of Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures or Videos because these are the areas that are backed up as irreplaceable information" ?
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 6:13 PM
  • I uninstalled Money and installed it again in the Documents folder. Yes, it does work now. I’d like to thank you DominicP and Cal for being with me all this time. I always had problems with Money when I bought a new computer and I had to transfer the data from the old to the new one.  I’m wondering if it’s worth using it since it has no support from Microsoft. But I’ve been using Money for nearly 15 years now. I’ve tried other ones but they work different and I couldn’t get used to them. And from the Forum it seems that a lot of people still use Money but it seems that Microsoft does not make much money from a few customers so it discontinued supporting this program. What a shame!

Again I’d like to thank both of you for your kind support.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:42 PM