locked
Slow PC, Possible Memory Leak and Non-ASCII Characters in IE Address Bar RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a PC running Windows XP SP2, Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Live OneCare and since a recent update of Windows Live OneCare the PC has become very slow, is showing signs of a memory leak and displays non-ASCII characters in the Internet Explorer address bar.

     

    When you click on the drop down arrow in the address bar of Internet Explorer to view the list of recently visited websites Internet Explorer hesitates for a moment and then displays a set of non-ASCII characters in the address bar.  I've run virus and spyware checks that have turned up nothing.  I've verified that there are no unusual programs installed on the PC or add-ons installed in Internet Explorer and that there are no unusual language sets installed and I tried re-installing Internet Explorer on top of itself, but the problem still persisted.

     

    I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Internet Explorer 7 and that didn't work either.  Ultimately I found that uninstalling Windows Live OneCare fixed the problem.  However, reinstalling Windows Live OneCare immediately brought the problem back.  I did further experiments and found that with Internet Explorer 6 and Windows Live OneCare the problem does not exist.  With Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Live OneCare the problem exists.  Also, after further research I learned that this problem started a few weeks ago after an automatic update of Windows Live OneCare occured; prior to that update everything was fine.

    So the problem seems to be some sort of incompatibility with Windows XP SP2, Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Live OneCare (I'm running Vista, IE 7 and Live OneCare on another PC without issue so it appears to be specific to XP).  Additionally not only do the non-ASCII characters appear in the address bar with this combination, but this combination also seems to create a memory leak type situation as the longer the PC is on the lower the amount of available memory and the slower the PC becomes.  After a reboot the memory is at a normal level again and the speed of the PC is fine.

    So, does anyone have any thoughts what this incompatibility might be between Windows XP SP2, Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Live OneCare and how we might fix it?

    Sunday, February 3, 2008 3:35 AM

Answers

  • Since you have narrowed the problem down to beginning after the 2.0 upgrade, please contact OneCare support to investigate the cause of the problem. Something is conflicting or not properly installed on your XP machine as what you are describing is not happening on any other systems that I'm aware of. The IE problem has not been reported here before. I suspect that there may be a tool bar or add-on that is causing your problem.

    How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

     

    -steve

    Monday, February 4, 2008 1:56 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Since you have narrowed the problem down to beginning after the 2.0 upgrade, please contact OneCare support to investigate the cause of the problem. Something is conflicting or not properly installed on your XP machine as what you are describing is not happening on any other systems that I'm aware of. The IE problem has not been reported here before. I suspect that there may be a tool bar or add-on that is causing your problem.

    How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

     

    -steve

    Monday, February 4, 2008 1:56 PM
    Moderator
  • I submitted a technical support email and will respond back with the results.

    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 12:21 AM
  • Thanks. I'll be interested to hear what transpires. Part of me wants to tell you to be prepared to push for escalation and that it may take a bit. And another part thinks that you may want to pursue IE support alongside your OneCare support request.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/iefaq.mspx

     

    -steve

    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 1:15 AM
    Moderator
  • I'd like to chime in and say that I'm having the exact same problem. Any fixes and/or suggestions would be fantastic as this issue is really getting on my nerves...

     

    Sunday, February 10, 2008 4:28 AM
  • I've had no luck with support so far and for the time being I uninstalled OneCare and replaced it with AVG's free products.  The PC seems to be working well now that OneCare is uninstalled and if I receive a reasonable response from support I'll consider reinstalling OneCare.

     

    Sunday, February 10, 2008 5:00 AM