Microsoft Money 2005 Stock Quotes not updating. RRS feed

• Question

• Since 1st July, 2013 my Microsoft Money 2005 won't update quotes. I get a message indicating that quotes have been updated but prices remain as at the 1st July. Then, when I go directly to the Comstock up-date link, I get another message that the update has been "Successful". But the prices of the 1st of July still remain in place.

Some are saying the service has been discontinued, others that the problem has occurred before but was corrected.

Have we been dumped by Microsoft and left with programmes that no longer work properly or can it be fixed?

Can anyone help please?

Saturday, July 13, 2013 12:00 AM

Answers

• The product activation servers are completely separate from the online quotes. 

The product activation servers were turned off some years ago. That is why there are now sunset versions that can

be downloaded and installed that do NOT require any product activation.

If you are currently running a version of Money that requires product activation (or in the case of Money 2005 UK a

product update to 1105) you must download the correct sunset version to be able to re-install the product.

The sunset downloads are complete product install executables and do not require a previous version of the prodict to

be installed.

Obviously, if you have an older version of Money installed that did not require product activation then that can still

be installed (assuming you have the install media).

• Edited by AshleyST Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:05 AM Re-wording
    • Marked as answer by PC Troubles Saturday, July 27, 2013 4:58 AM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:57 AM
  • Since 1st July, 2013 my Microsoft Money 2005 won't update quotes. I get a message indicating that quotes have been updated but prices remain as at the 1st July. Then, when I go directly to the Comstock up-date link, I get another message that the update has been "Successful". But the prices of the 1st of July still remain in place.

Some are saying the service has been discontinued, others that the problem has occurred before but was corrected.

Have we been dumped by Microsoft and left with programmes that no longer work properly or can it be fixed?

Can anyone help please?

Hi

You can join us in this forum which is quite advanced :

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/879477c2-54e3-487f-8d47-fcaa62180cd7/quote-servers-serving-microsoft-money-gone

Jacquouille la Fripouiile

• Marked as answer by PC Troubles Saturday, July 27, 2013 4:57 AM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:12 PM
  • Hi Cruisinfanatic,

I know they'll install, but will they re-activate? My worry is that our older versions of Money may not if the reactivation facility is removed by Microsoft. Some are saying, that will be the case once Microsoft have completely discontinued support. So the question is, if we have to re-install after the 1st July, 2013 (when the quote update connections were cut off) will we still be able to use our keys to re-activate our programmes?

Does anyone know this for certain, one way or another please?

Like I said. My version of MS Money 96 Deluxe doesn't use a key to work. There is nothing to activate
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:31 PM
  • Thanks AshleyST, Cruisinfanatic, Jacquouille la Fripouiile et al.,

I think that just about covers it. It seems if we have programmes without activation keys we're OK, as long as we've downloaded and saved our appropriate regional "Sunset" programme, as a precaution in case of a complete disaster. Just one thing though. If for whatever reason, we can't open our reinstalled Money programme after a crash, does anyone know if the regional "Sunset" programmes once installed, will accept saved data from our original Money programmes, or do we have to have converted to it before the crash?

Don't panic. The most important is to do regularly backups of your *.mny file on a USB key, and to keep carefully the Money's CD-ROM.

I think that, in the future, new Windows OS could make Money no compatible with. It seems to me the true issue.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:53 AM
  • Regarding moving original Money data to the sunset versions, the only incompatibility I

can remember is regarding (very) old Money files. In that case, you have to use Money 2006

as a "bridge" version. See this KB article, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913108/en-us 

Also (obviously) you must use the correct regionalised version of Money with your data file.

It's a mute point whether say, Money 2005 will fare any better in the long run than say the

final Money "sunset" with regard to working on later versions of Windows and IE. The version

of IE is as important as Windows due to Money using it for all the screen rendering. 

There are of course alternatives such as running it completely offline in a dual boot setup or

perhaps in a virtual machine.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:58 PM

All replies

• I am having exactly the same problem. Please Microsoft let us know what is happening. I appreciate you can't support products for ever but simple courtesy requires you at least tell us if this service has been discontinued and if so how we create a link to another online update service.
    Friday, July 19, 2013 11:10 AM
  • Sorry just found this http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d8dc8c86-a250-4344-9f78-faa8a0b078ec/online-quotes

Looks like someone from MS is looking in to this.

Friday, July 19, 2013 11:18 AM
  • Hi Southcroft,

Have you read the thread below? It seems we've no alternative but to download and convert or we won't be able to re-install our current programmes should we have a computer crash. I've downloaded the Australian version and saved it, but haven't as yet installed it. However, I am working on that. Just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing first. But at the moment, a conversion to one of the new Money programmes in the link under, seems the way we have to go.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors

Monday, July 22, 2013 11:21 PM
  • my money 96 installs just fine on any computer
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 12:34 PM
  • Hi Cruisinfanatic,

I know they'll install, but will they re-activate? My worry is that our older versions of Money may not if the reactivation facility is removed by Microsoft. Some are saying, that will be the case once Microsoft have completely discontinued support. So the question is, if we have to re-install after the 1st July, 2013 (when the quote update connections were cut off) will we still be able to use our keys to re-activate our programmes?

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:35 PM
  • The product activation servers are completely separate from the online quotes. 

The product activation servers were turned off some years ago. That is why there are now sunset versions that can

be downloaded and installed that do NOT require any product activation.

If you are currently running a version of Money that requires product activation (or in the case of Money 2005 UK a

product update to 1105) you must download the correct sunset version to be able to re-install the product.

The sunset downloads are complete product install executables and do not require a previous version of the prodict to

be installed.

Obviously, if you have an older version of Money installed that did not require product activation then that can still

be installed (assuming you have the install media).

• Edited by AshleyST Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:05 AM Re-wording
    • Marked as answer by PC Troubles Saturday, July 27, 2013 4:58 AM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:57 AM

Can anyone help please?

Hi

You can join us in this forum which is quite advanced :

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/879477c2-54e3-487f-8d47-fcaa62180cd7/quote-servers-serving-microsoft-money-gone

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:12 PM
  • Hi Cruisinfanatic,

Like I said. My version of MS Money 96 Deluxe doesn't use a key to work. There is nothing to activate
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:31 PM

I think that just about covers it. It seems if we have programmes without activation keys we're OK, as long as we've downloaded and saved our appropriate regional "Sunset" programme, as a precaution in case of a complete disaster. Just one thing though. If for whatever reason, we can't open our reinstalled Money programme after a crash, does anyone know if the regional "Sunset" programmes once installed, will accept saved data from our original Money programmes, or do we have to have converted to it before the crash?

Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:23 AM

Don't panic. The most important is to do regularly backups of your *.mny file on a USB key, and to keep carefully the Money's CD-ROM.

I think that, in the future, new Windows OS could make Money no compatible with. It seems to me the true issue.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:53 AM
  • Regarding moving original Money data to the sunset versions, the only incompatibility I

can remember is regarding (very) old Money files. In that case, you have to use Money 2006

as a "bridge" version. See this KB article, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913108/en-us 

Also (obviously) you must use the correct regionalised version of Money with your data file.

It's a mute point whether say, Money 2005 will fare any better in the long run than say the

final Money "sunset" with regard to working on later versions of Windows and IE. The version

of IE is as important as Windows due to Money using it for all the screen rendering. 

There are of course alternatives such as running it completely offline in a dual boot setup or

perhaps in a virtual machine.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:58 PM
  • Look like there is a new set of users looking for option to update quotes in particular for 2005UK. hleofxquotes has some support for it. Not as smooth as the support for SunsetUS but there is known path that works:

See: http://code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/wiki/UKUsers

Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:15 PM
  • Thanks to all above, I believe I've been answered and will mark the appropriate replies as such. 

As I now understand it, we can continue with our current Money programmes for the moment and re-install when necessary on our present systems provided we don't need an activation key. But unless we find satisfactory alternatives, outside of Microsoft, we'll have to update quotes manually and there's no guarantee that our programmes will continue to work on new computers. So I guess one could say, we've been dumped.

I'll puddle along now with my manual Money programme, whilst I look for alternative software.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 4:56 AM

• I'll puddle along now with my manual Money programme, whilst I look for alternative software.

Hi,

Use hleOfxQuotes. It works even with french version of Money 2005 Standard, and it does not affect the software. I use it since 4 days no, and in only 3 clicks, I download my french stocks' quotes.    ;-)

Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:41 AM
  • Yes. I have the same issue - I am using Money 2003 w/o any trouble but LLOY share price is stuck to .64p since a month now.
    Thursday, August 1, 2013 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

can you tell me more about hleofxquotes?  Where do you find it? How do you proceed to activate from MS Money ?

Sunday, August 4, 2013 8:31 AM
  • Hi,

can you tell me more about hleofxquotes?  Where do you find it? How do you proceed to activate from MS Money ?

Read through this forum. You will find a lot more information on what a few of us have tried recently.

Thanks, Tim

Sunday, August 4, 2013 10:22 AM
  • Sunday, August 4, 2013 2:29 PM
  • Hi,

I'm using the UK sunset version and all updates were working until 1st July. Now some do and some don't.

Strange.

Friday, August 9, 2013 3:25 PM
  • Hi Martin,

Have a look at this thread. There's a lot more info about all of this there.

Friday, August 9, 2013 8:45 PM
  • Hi.

Can anyone tell me where I can download a sunset version of MM for UK. All the Sunset versions I have seen have been for US version only.

Thanks

Rich?

Saturday, October 12, 2013 9:11 AM