Intel SS4200-EHW and WHS Hardware Requirements RRS feed

• Question

• What I'm curious about is just exactly how much drive space does WHS really need? 

When looking at the Intel SS4200, it has an IDE slot for a DOM (Disk on Module).  I could get a decently priced 8GB DOM, install it, and leave the 4 HDDs to only store data.

But, would WHS fit on and run from an 8GB or 4GB drive? 

Travis
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 3:21 AM

Answers

•  ITSupportZagat wrote:
    What I'm curious about is just exactly how much drive space does WHS really need? 

When looking at the Intel SS4200, it has an IDE slot for a DOM (Disk on Module).  I could get a decently priced 8GB DOM, install it, and leave the 4 HDDs to only store data.

Travis

The hardware requirements for WHS are listed here:

Requirements

It is recommended that the system drive be the biggest drive in your WHS configuration.  The WHS installation configures two partitions, a 20 gig C: (system) partition and the remaining space makes up the D: partition.  Any additional drives get added (appended) to the D: partition.  WHS manages what data is on each physical disk (which is transparent to the user).

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 4:01 AM

All replies

•  ITSupportZagat wrote:
    What I'm curious about is just exactly how much drive space does WHS really need? 

Travis

The hardware requirements for WHS are listed here:

Requirements

It is recommended that the system drive be the biggest drive in your WHS configuration.  The WHS installation configures two partitions, a 20 gig C: (system) partition and the remaining space makes up the D: partition.  Any additional drives get added (appended) to the D: partition.  WHS manages what data is on each physical disk (which is transparent to the user).

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 4:01 AM
  • Because of the way WHS uses it's disks, no you can't install it on a DOM. The system disk must be a minimum of about 74 GB in size (stated minimum is 80 GB), because it contains both the system partition and the primary data partition (C: and D: ). You could potentially use a solid state disk, but those are ruinously expensive at the moment.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 12:38 PM
  • My guess is you'd only want to use the IDE port to add a DVD drive so you could do the install. I'm curious about this box. I've seen it advertized at a couple places but so far no one has any in stock.

-Josh

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 4:12 PM
  •  CalypsoCowboy wrote:

My guess is you'd only want to use the IDE port to add a DVD drive so you could do the install. I'm curious about this box. I've seen it advertized at a couple places but so far no one has any in stock.

-Josh

I wonder what the hardware differences are between this and the Siemens Scaleo home server?

Scaleo
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 12:48 AM
  • It's definitely the same hardware no matter if it's sold with Windows Home Server or with the EMC software.  I don't know if the EMC software is on a DOM, though haven't been able to get my hands on one yet to look at it.  Since the thing is a real x86 computer, I'm half inclined to put a copy of Server 2003 on it which would fit on the DOM, and set up the raid from there. 

In light of the explanation of how WHS works, that would be the only reason at this point why I'd use a DOM since I already have the USB-DVDRW.  It is very tempting though!

Travis
    Friday, March 7, 2008 10:31 PM
  • I have a SS4200-EHW on the way from Buy.com.  I have NO idea how to get WHS on the system without a display output.  There are some rumors that Intel has a image that can be loaded onto a thumbdrive that will boot the system and allow you to point to a network accessable DVD of WHS.  I am waiting for Intel to respond.  If I find anything out, I will let you know.

If you look at the compatibility table for the SS4200-EHW, you will see there are some video cards listed that would need a PCI-e to PCI adapter; I hope it doesn't come to that!

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 1:19 AM
  •  getz76 wrote:

I have a SS4200-EHW on the way from Buy.com.  I have NO idea how to get WHS on the system without a display output.  There are some rumors that Intel has a image that can be loaded onto a thumbdrive that will boot the system and allow you to point to a network accessable DVD of WHS.  I am waiting for Intel to respond.  If I find anything out, I will let you know.

If you look at the compatibility table for the SS4200-EHW, you will see there are some video cards listed that would need a PCI-e to PCI adapter; I hope it doesn't come to that!

Well, keep expectations low and try to have fun. Smile  If you have a similar hardware setup with video you could install WHS on a different machine and then move the hard drive over to the SS4200.  However chipset differences (& NIC) can put a stop to that pretty quickly.
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 4:06 AM
  • Indeed!  Who knows what will happen...  I have some faith in Intel responding; it is still a company full of engineers.  They have stated the hardware is certified as a WHS box.  Obviously it is possible to get the image on (see FujitsuSeimens and Velocity Micro's iteration of this hardware), but if it is going to take an insane amount of work, they should not offer it on the OEM market. Smile

I will update when I find out.  I'll try to add some content to the internet, since I could not find anything on it yet regarding this box.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 5:03 AM
  •  

Hey, good to see someone else is having as much fun as me on this box.  We've been buying the SS4200-E units so far and it's a nice box.  Just having problems getting hold of these at the moment so we've purchased a couple of SS4200-EHW units to try and load WHS on.

Should get my hands on a copy of WHS tomorrow and the weekend awaits to see how far I get.

I've started a small wiki over at pbwiki (url is http://ss4200.pbwiki.com) to stick the info in that I find.  I'll see what I can get up over the weekend regarding WHS.  The couple of bits I've got up atm are more dealing with the EMC Linux OS that comes on the 4200-E units.

If you end up getting any info together and want to add it, let me know.  From what I can tell, the EHW units don't come with a DOM like the E units do, so the install I'm guessing is going to be done via a bootable USB stick and an unattended script.  I've gotten serial console access, but that's not going to be terribly useful when WHS is all about a GUI during install.

Cheers anyway 

Thursday, April 3, 2008 12:59 PM
  • Thanks for the info Redhat V.  Good to see there is a budding community!

Intels initial response to my request for information was not very useful; "Contact your distributor".  I did find one of the three VGA adaptors on the compatibility list for $100; more than I would want to spend just to load software on ONE box.  If I was going to roll 20 of them, I would buy it in a heartbeat, but without knowning it is going to be tough to swallow that cost.

Looking forward to what you find, and I will let you know what Intel's response to my second request yields.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 1:14 PM
  • I'd searching around to find the some information that I can install WHS onto my SS4200-EHW seem to be fail!

At Intel SS4200-EHW website said it is certified to install WHS, but suprisingly in the world seem no body know how or supply the step by step guide for it.

Hope some of yours had figure out the way and share the information here.

Thanks

Thursday, April 3, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Redhat V,

Just checked out your wiki; VMware might be an interesting idea, especially if you can do an installation on it and then transfer it to the drive for the SS4200.

Also, there is a list of compatible video cards in Intel's compatibility list:

Manufacturer

Model Number

Name

Interface

Comments

1. 4.6 Video Adapters

Matrox

G55-MDDE32LPD

Millenium G550

N/A

Tested

ATI

V3400

FireGL V3400

N/A

Tested

PNY

VCFX560-PCIE-PB-V

Quadro FX560

N/A

Tested

Adex Electronics

N/A

PCIe Flexible Connector (x1 to

N/A

Tested

See list HERE.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 3:55 PM
  • I had install a WHS on VM mode in my notebook, it working perfectly in the VM, my question now is, how to get the vm image to be revert back to the physical disk drive? as the SS4200-EHW is running on 945GZ chipset with ICH7R, and the gigabit NIC driver is also different than the driver loaded in the VM.

I try to install WHS on the HDD with Intel D946GZIS motherboard with necessary drivers. It working perfectly on the D946GZIS motherboard, but once i plug the same HDD onto SS4200-EHW, the HDD 1 lights on power button is keep on blinking as well as the network activitis lights, but on the DHCP list, it doesn't get any IP. As the result, the WHS cannot be connected.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thursday, April 3, 2008 4:17 PM
  •  getz76 wrote:

Redhat V,

Just checked out your wiki; VMware might be an interesting idea, especially if you can do an installation on it and then transfer it to the drive for the SS4200.

Also, there is a list of compatible video cards in Intel's compatibility list:

Manufacturer

Model Number

Name

Interface

Comments

1. 4.6 Video Adapters

Matrox

G55-MDDE32LPD

Millenium G550

N/A

Tested

ATI

V3400

FireGL V3400

N/A

Tested

PNY

VCFX560-PCIE-PB-V

Quadro FX560

N/A

Tested

Adex Electronics

N/A

PCIe Flexible Connector (x1 to

N/A

Tested

See list HERE.

I'm guessing most PCI-Express x1 gfx cards would work.  The issue is to find a cheap (<$50) one.  You may have to remove the bits and pieces from the case to fit it though - but if you only need it for installation.  You could always return the card after you're finished with it (-restocking fee).

Are you positive there's a PCI-Express x1 slot?  The .pdf you linked is for the E version (not EHW).

Thursday, April 3, 2008 4:58 PM
  • I am not positive theyere is a PCIe x1 slot, but the SS4200-EHW is supposedly the exact same hardware minus the DOM. 

I will have my box tomorrow, but now I may not even open it unless Intel starts to play nicely.  I already requested a RMA.  I am a registered reseller with them and they will not give me the time of day on this piece of hardware that I would like to start rolling as an alternative to the Netgear (Infrant) ReadyNAS NV+ I have been providing.  The ReadyNAS is nice, but it can get loud, it is slow, and the power-supplies are hard to come by and not so reliable.

They should not advertise this box as WHS Verified, put it on the OEM channels, and then tell you to "stuff it" when you ask for basic documentation.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 6:07 PM
  • The SS4200-EHW is same as SS4200-E except the DOM, also the PCI-e x1 is there. I also an Intel Authorize Dealer, infact this product was introduce by the BDM in Malaysia, but I extremly disappointed with their support on this item.

Friday, April 4, 2008 12:38 AM
  •  

Installation guide for WHS on SS4200-EHW

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/ss4200ehw/sb/CS-028981.htm

ALong with other info on what u might need

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/ss4200ehw/howto.htm

It seems intel has released a documentatuion on how to install the OS on the machine but u will need some stuff others easy to get and others a bit more difficult (at least for me)

USB: mouse Keyboard

DVD rom on ide port

PCIex1 to PCIe x16 flex adapter by adex

Video adapter

I am still looking on how to minimize the cost on setting up and reselling this machine.

Friday, April 4, 2008 12:05 PM
  • Can anyone post the settings to gain access to the device through the serial port? I seem to be running into the boot problem Redhat V. explains on his wiki, but can't access through Hyperterminal. So far all I could see was a "-" when the device boots up.

Many thanks.

Friday, April 4, 2008 2:54 PM
  • Consy,

Nice find!  I am going to call Adex today and see how much the flex adapter costs.  I found the non-flex adapter at OrbitMicro for $50 shipped, which is a bit steep.

I'll report back.

• Proposed as answer by dodom Sunday, January 18, 2009 12:52 AM
    Friday, April 4, 2008 2:57 PM
  • let me know whta u find out about the adex cable... or where could i buy it from over the internet.

thanks in advance

Friday, April 4, 2008 3:15 PM
  • http://www.adexelec.com/

949-597-1772

The folks at Adex were very nice.  No minimum order and the find technical representative said he would try to get my custom order out of the door to ship today.

I just got off the phone and ordered part number PEFlex16/1-5",  1x Male 16x Female, 5" flex cable.  $42 + shipping.

Hopefully I have it by the end of next week and I will let you all know how it works out.  I guess I have to yank a video card out of a box somewhere.

Friday, April 4, 2008 4:52 PM
  • i have received the adex cable and connected it to the ss4200 along with a tv card

but it doesnt display anything

any ideas

Friday, April 11, 2008 6:41 PM
  • TV Card?  What do you mean?

I received my Adex last night, and I'll dive in tonight or tomorrow.  I will try it with a ATI X1300 PCIe x16 adapter and report back.

Friday, April 11, 2008 9:00 PM
  •  

I just tried my card with the adapter.  It worked fine.  Looking through the BIOS, it actually seems like there is onboard video!  Why did they not put in a connection?

I also used a generic USB keyboard, a Logitech USB mouse, a Toshiba branded USB Floppy Drive, and a Samsung SN-S082D DVD drive in an external USB case without incident.  It booted up to the WHS install screen but I received an error since I had no hard drives installed.

I will be doing the install tomorrow.

Friday, April 11, 2008 11:31 PM
  •  getz76 wrote:
    Why did they not put in a connection?
    OEMs are not permitted to include a rear panel video connector on WHS units. Since the SS4200-EHW is specifically intended for OEMs to use for this purpose, Intel didn't include a connector. There's probably a header on the motherboard for VGA video, though; that is permitted.
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:11 PM
  • I'd manage to install WHS on the Intel SS4200-EHW at the following way.

1. Get a HIS X1650 256Mb PCI-e x1 Display Card @ abt USD95

2. Disassembly the Real Fan on top of the motherboard

3. Un-screw 6 screw on the motherboard and remove the motherboard from the chassis.

4. Connect USB Floppy Drive, USB DVD-ROM and USB Keyboard & Mouse to the motherboard

5. Install as follow the instruction.

6. Done!

Simple!

Saturday, April 12, 2008 3:42 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
     getz76 wrote:
    Why did they not put in a connection?

OEMs are not permitted to include a rear panel video connector on WHS units. Since the SS4200-EHW is specifically intended for OEMs to use for this purpose, Intel didn't include a connector. There's probably a header on the motherboard for VGA video, though; that is permitted.

Ah!  So, blame Microsoft, not Intel.  Got it. Smile

I understand the reasoning (keep it a server, not a weak PC), but it cost me $50 extra buying this silly PCIe 1x to 16x adapter.  Sure, if I roll this box for others, it is a small cost, but still...

Saturday, April 12, 2008 4:35 PM
  • This box does NOT like Samsung HD501LJ 500gb SATA drives.  It will boot once with the drive installed, but takes a dump if you reboot, and shows a corrupted "Manufacturer" name in BIOS.  Strange.  All four drives I have tried did the same, and they are known good. 

I am now trying with an older 400gb WD.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 12:36 AM
  • Anyone installed WHS on the unit yet and got the Intel Hardware Monitor service running?  Installed WHS on the box last night but the Intel Hardware plugin keeps crashing with a DotNet error.  The service failed both after install and after it was fully patched.

Cheers

Monday, April 14, 2008 12:43 PM
  • What i meant was

i got the adex cable and connected 2 different PCIex16 Nvidia cards but it didnt work for me.

The display does seem to regognize that it has a vga connected but i dont see anything.

Any ideas?

Monday, April 14, 2008 12:46 PM
  • I just returned the unit to my vendor.  I love the hardware; reasonably size, SILENT, and fast, and I may turn around and purchase a SS4200-e.  However, Windows Home Server is just too much of a pain to install and maintain, and it just refuses to be configurable.  I was really disappointed in WHS.

I did eventually get it to install.  It refused to boot with a Samsung HD501LJ in the first master SATA slot (disk tray 1).  However, if I  put the same drive in the second master SATA slot (disk tray 3), no problem.  I installed with an older WD 300gb drive in disk tray 1, however, after the first reboot, it would not recognize the floppy drive.  If I installed with the Samsung drive in disk try 3, it would recognize the floppy drive.  Very strange. 

Redhat V wrote:

Anyone installed WHS on the unit yet and got the Intel Hardware Monitor service running?  Installed WHS on the box last night but the Intel Hardware plugin keeps crashing with a DotNet error.  The service failed both after install and after it was fully patched.

I had the same problem.  It kept on crashing.

consy wrote:

i got the adex cable and connected 2 different PCIex16 Nvidia cards but it didnt work for me.

The display does seem to regognize that it has a vga connected but i dont see anything.

Which nvidia cards?  What graphics chipset? 

Monday, April 14, 2008 1:45 PM
  • 1) Nvidia GForce 6600

Asus Extreme N6600 SIlencer Series

2) NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT 256MB DDR3 HDCP Extreme by XFX

Monday, April 14, 2008 5:02 PM
  • Could be a bandwidth issue, as mentioned in the documentation.  Stuffing 16x into 1x.  The card I used was an older ATI x1300 (non-pro).  Do you have any older cards lying around?

Monday, April 14, 2008 6:15 PM
  •  

Gonna try and get my hands on one today.. will let you know how it goes.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:52 AM
  • can you give some more details on the card you used: like manufacturer, model, etc. i am thinking of trying to get one off ebay

thanks

Monday, April 21, 2008 6:18 PM
  • consy - Sapphire Radeon X1300 PRO PCI Express 256MB DDR2 Video Card w/TV-Out, DVI-I & VGA Retail

I hope that helps.

Meanwhile, I purchased a SS4200-e.  It took all of 15 minutes to set up and works like a charm.  VERY fast transfer rates, I was getting over 35MB/s write and close to 50MB/s read in real-world applications.  It is also nearly silent.  A quality bit of hardware Intel slapped together and the EMC software is adequate for most applications.

Monday, April 21, 2008 6:30 PM
  • Can anyone tell me if the tested pci-e x1 cards could be put in the slot without an extender or riser when you remove everything from the case?
    I don't mind disassembling the entire thing, but I'm worried about fixed motherboard components in the way (e.g. condensators). Those I'd rather not touch Wink

Tnx
    Friday, May 2, 2008 10:20 AM
  • There is no way that you can install a PCI-e x1 Graphic card without a extender or disassembly the board from the case.

Even you can put the graphic card into the board, but you have no way to connect the VGA cable to your monitor.

So.... the action from me is to take the board out from the casing.  It is not that hard to remove the board. But, to make life easy, remove the 2 real fans before you take the board out from the case.

Saturday, May 3, 2008 9:57 AM
  • I got it to run, the WHS install guide off the website was pretty helpful here. You can install the monitor.msi but you also have to upgrade the SMBus controller and LPC driver.

You may have to upgrade the OS with Windows Update.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 8:04 PM
  •  

So, with the flex vga extender and some USB devices its pretty easy to install WHS.

Do you guys think its as easy to install Windows 2003 on the device ?

I would be much more interested in it with 2k3 on it (for personal use)

Would like to hear your ideas.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:04 PM
  •  

It is same way for installing Windows Server 2003 R2 Std Edt like WHS. Same set of driver.

Basically WHS is the same codebase as Windows Server 2003.

I'd do if for some of my clients.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:23 AM
  •  

I have WHS installed on a SS4200-E.  It's been pretty good.

To do it, I uninstalled the board & PSU from the case.  I cut a small slot in the back of the x1 PCIe slot, and just stuck a gfx card directly into that.  At that point, it was a "simple" matter of plugging in the USB keyboard, mouse, floppy & CDROM, and installing the OS on a SATA HDD. 

The one gotcha in installation is you have to use the F6 AHCI drivers twice - once during the WinPE install portion, and once during hte blue-screen Win2k3 install portion.  My install failed multiple times until I figured that out. 

Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:03 PM
  •  kgk wrote:

I have WHS installed on a SS4200-E.  It's been pretty good.

To do it, I uninstalled the board & PSU from the case.  I cut a small slot in the back of the x1 PCIe slot, and just stuck a gfx card directly into that.  At that point, it was a "simple" matter of plugging in the USB keyboard, mouse, floppy & CDROM, and installing the OS on a SATA HDD. 

The one gotcha in installation is you have to use the F6 AHCI drivers twice - once during the WinPE install portion, and once during hte blue-screen Win2k3 install portion.  My install failed multiple times until I figured that out. 

Hi kgk,

Could you perhaps send me some pictures of the way you cut the PCIe slot to need.that.reply@gmail.com
    Could you also please tell me what video card you used ? Since Intel released a rather short list of cards that have been tested.
    Thanks Mucho in advance !

Subigo.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:54 PM
  • Ok Folks
    I have managed to install Windows Home Server on this  using the Slip Streaming methos.

I did not have to  buy the Flex Cable or the VGA adapter.  Just created a USB Stick from the process listed  at the following link

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2008/07/03/how-to-create-a-slipstreamed-unattended-windows-home-server-installation-dvd/

the unattended install took about an hour and 7-8 reboot cycles. and the final part of setting the administrator password happens through the xp client PC using the WHS connector software.   see my post at the end ot the above link...

Enjoy. the low costing WHS

Sunday, January 18, 2009 1:12 AM
  • Did the anyone resolve the issue with Intel Hardware Monitor Service failures?
    Friday, March 27, 2009 1:11 AM
  • Check this out:
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?s=73ce3077d4e3fbab5b8ec6bea7fed458&p=9547962&postcount=11

He used a soldering iron to open up the  PCIe 1X slot, so it fits a PCIe 16x video card!
    There goes the warranty, I guess?
    Or just find a cheap PCIe 16x video card, and do this: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=88791
    Cheers

• Edited by TinyRK Saturday, May 9, 2009 11:41 PM
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 11:27 PM