Change LIVE account associated with Home Server 2011 Domain RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently picked up one of the OUTLOOK.COM accounts and want to close down my LIVE.COM account.  My Windows Home server 2011 is registered to the LIVE.COM account and I would like to change it over to the OUTLOOK.COM account.  Can this be done and how?
    Monday, October 1, 2012 3:14 PM

Answers

• ... Can this be done and how?
    No this can't be done (or not in any reasonable way). You would have to release the domain name from your Live account, then wait for Live Domains to release the vanity URL back into the pool of available URLs. This takes a long time (weeks, I believe), so it's not practical as a way to transfer a vanity URL from one account to another. There is no way to explicitly transfer the URL from one account to another, I'm afraid.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by ender00 Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:50 PM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:28 PM

All replies

• I don't believe so without choosing a new domain name (xxx.homeserver.com)

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, October 1, 2012 4:18 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  No offense Phil but I was hoping for a more definitive answer. 

Anyone able to give more help here???

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 1:13 PM
  • No offense take. I have not tried this so can't give you a definitive answer.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:05 PM
  • ... Can this be done and how?
    No this can't be done (or not in any reasonable way). You would have to release the domain name from your Live account, then wait for Live Domains to release the vanity URL back into the pool of available URLs. This takes a long time (weeks, I believe), so it's not practical as a way to transfer a vanity URL from one account to another. There is no way to explicitly transfer the URL from one account to another, I'm afraid.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by ender00 Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:50 PM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:28 PM
  • Yeah....that is pretty much what I was seeing.  Tried releasing and it wouldn't allow me to pick up on new Outlook.com account.  Can pick an new name though.  I use Stabelbit DrivePool and that caused me a small problem as it tried to add new shared folders but was able to remedy that easily.  Oh well guess for right now I will retain the live.com account just for the domain.  If I rebuild in future I will can it.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:49 PM
  • Perhaps linking the accounts may help.  Might be worth a try.

I have an existing Hotmail account and a new @Outlook account. How do I link them?

To link your accounts, open a browser and sign in to either account from Outlook.com. Click your name in the upper right corner of the screen and then click Account settings. That takes you to the Microsoft account page.

Choose Permissions from the left-hand column and then click Manage linked accounts. That takes you to a screen that shows you all accounts that are currently linked to the Microsoft account you used to sign in.

Click Add linked account. In the resulting screen, you need to enter the password for your current account (to verify your identity) and then enter the email address and password of the account you want to link.

Go back to the Outlook inbox (you might have to refresh the page) and click your name in the top right corner. You should see both email addresses listed�??the one you signed in with and the newly linked one. Click an address to see the contents of that account�??s inbox and folders.

Note that linking two accounts doesn�??t give you the ability to send new messages from one account while you�??re in the other. To enable that option, click the gear icon in the top right corner, click More mail settings, and then click Sending/receiving mail from other accounts.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    I have recently picked up one of the OUTLOOK.COM accounts and want to close down my LIVE.COM account.  My Windows Home server 2011 is registered to the LIVE.COM account and I would like to change it over to the OUTLOOK.COM account.  Can this be done and how?

BullDawg
    Monday, October 8, 2012 3:07 AM