Active Directory RRS feed

• Question

• Will AD be there for the final release

dcpromo work on WHS :)

Christophe

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 9:49 PM

Answers

• Everything for the final release is still being determined. As for the way Windows Home Server sits now with Beta 2, Active Directory is not used and I don't believe it will be used for user authentication or any other reason(s) for version 1.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 9:55 PM

All replies

• Everything for the final release is still being determined. As for the way Windows Home Server sits now with Beta 2, Active Directory is not used and I don't believe it will be used for user authentication or any other reason(s) for version 1.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 9:55 PM
  • In fact this could be great to have AD for security reason:

limited acount number on the domain

group policy (maybe a subset) for ie restrictions (for kids)

Christophe

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 10:12 PM
  • i try to start DCPROMO and work...
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 9:50 AM
  • How would Active directory add anything when it comes to security?

Using AD to gain GPO functionality is a bit of an overkill in a home network. I think that keeping the WHS to a reduced state will make it possible to lower the pricing since you won't be paying for advanced features such as AD and alike.

It's still possible to use local policies and they work just fine. The downside is that you will have to manually set all your clients, but usally the regular home user won't have that many clients.

Another point would be adding such advanced features will make a server, which purpose should be simplicity kind of complex. I know alot of us geeks like features, but the adding features to this concept may as well kill the product.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:39 AM
  • I agree, but a subet of GPO for locking some IE settings will be usefull.

I use IEAK for the moment, and give me what I want, but  GPO is more powerfull ....

Christophe

Thursday, February 22, 2007 10:00 PM