Is Vail right for me. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm pretty new to WHS and Vail so i had a few questions in mind..

- I have like 7 drives in raid5 hooked on an highpoint 2320 raid controller, will vail support this array (5TB)?

In other words, do Vail support >2TB partitions ? (GPT)

Thx,

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:15 PM

Answers

• The Microsoft mantra in this area is "RAID is not a consumer technology". Never mind that consumers may use it, creating and managing a RAID array is well beyond the comfort zone of someone with average technical skills.

That said, yes, Vail will support large disks. However, you will have to move your content off, and back on, to the array; when you add it to server storage it will be formatted.

Please read all the available documentation about Windows Home Server V1 (available through the appropriate section of the Microsoft web site) and Vail (available on Connect).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:51 PM

All replies

• The Microsoft mantra in this area is "RAID is not a consumer technology". Never mind that consumers may use it, creating and managing a RAID array is well beyond the comfort zone of someone with average technical skills.

That said, yes, Vail will support large disks. However, you will have to move your content off, and back on, to the array; when you add it to server storage it will be formatted.

Please read all the available documentation about Windows Home Server V1 (available through the appropriate section of the Microsoft web site) and Vail (available on Connect).

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:51 PM
  • Not in front of my Vail box right now, but could w00tie not install VAIL on a separate drive and then share out the current data on the RAID array without adding it to the storage pool?  Of course this requires using RDP or local log on to setup and configure....  Not everyone has 5TB of free drive space sitting around....

I'll need to play with this when I get home tonight to confirm but cannot see why this is not possible.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:53 PM
  • It is, of course, possible. But his RAID array will not participate in any way in Vail functionality; he will have to manage permissions himself, create shares, deal with backups. Data won't stream from the shares without additional configuration not supported in Vail. Et cetera. He can get equivalent functionality out of any Windows desktop OS, and probably more easily.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:17 PM
  • LOL true.  All depends on what you want to do.  I'm forced to do this with my production whs1 build to use my drobopro via iSCSI.  WHS1 and 2 both wont stream my .mkv files so I have to run a third party upnp server on top as well.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:50 PM