Phone normalization weirdness RRS feed

• Question

• Just got OCS 2007 standard integrated with Avaya AES server, and I am running into issues with phone normalization.

Our users phone numbers are set up in AD as XXX-XXX-XXXX

I have tried a couple of normailization rules to get these to dial as extensions.

I have tried

\(?\s*(503)\s*\)?[\s()\-\./]*(769)[\s()\-\./]*(24\d\d)[\s]*
    +1$1$2$3

should return +150376924xx

+$3

should return +24xx

both these rules show the desired result when i use testPhoneNorm

but after an addressbook sync, the addressbook shows the user as having no phone number when you click to call in communicator.  If I remove the rules and resync the addressbook they come back in xxx-xxx-xxxx format.

Any ideas why these numbers disappear?
    Friday, August 29, 2008 10:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• All of your phone numbers should be in E.164 format after normalization.  So your return would have to be something like +15027690000;ext=24xx.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 3:33 AM
  • so why if I apply the filter to the number 503-769-2411 (for example) does the number disappear from the address book?

+1$1$2$3

should return +15037692411.  I guess I am little confused as to what I should see in the contact after normalizing.

If I apply the filter

\(?\s*(\d\d\d)\s*\)?[\s()\-\./]*(\d\d\d)[\s()\-\./]*(\d\d\d\d)[\s]*
    +91$1$2$3

The numbers show up in the contacts as XXX-XXX-XXXX (just like entered in AD), but when they are dialed they are dialed as +91xxxxxxxxxx.

What I am trying to achieve is having certain number blocks , like 555-222-21xx, 555-222-22xx and 555-444-34xx

be normalized to +155522221xx etc, if I pass this format to our AES server it takes care of stripping the digits and dialing it as an extension.

I can then apply other generic normalization rules to numbers that don't meet the above criteria.
    Saturday, August 30, 2008 5:40 AM
  •  

I think the file under C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007\Web Components\Address Book Files\Files called "Sample_Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt" is they key here.

For mine I've used:

Code Snippet

\(?\s*(\d\d\d)\s*\)?[\s()\-\./]*(\d\d\d)[\s()\-\./]*(\d\d\d\d)[\s]*

+1$1$2$3

You need to rename the file without the "Sample_" words and add the above sample and you should be in business.

Cheers!

Saturday, August 30, 2008 6:45 PM
  • Take a look at these links, they should help explain the ABS functionality:

http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=17

http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=26

And I would not recommend simply renaming the Sample file, but creating a new file with the proper name.  the sample file include a lot of rules that may not be desirable for your environment.

Monday, September 1, 2008 12:52 PM
  • Thanks for all the replies.  I got it worked out, I guess I was a bit confused about where the pattern matching for our internal numbers would take place.  I havethe ABS normalizing everything and the AES matches patterns of our dial plan.
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 5:16 PM