Networking Question - Not WHS directly... RRS feed

• Question

• I know this isn't a direct WHS question - but hoping someone can re-direct me to some online forum/learning sources so I can pose these questions and/or read up on how to do this.

I have a home network that works great...everything connects to the WHS and can be "seen" by other PC's.

What I need to do is setup a router (or some other way to do this - I have another question on on using WHS for "sharing" a VPN'd connection) that will be connected via VPN (for Internet TV etc).  I really only need 3 PC's in the house to be on THAT internet connection, 2 others can remain on the "local" ISP internet connection.  However - I DO want all of the devices to be able to conenct to/access the WHS and potentially each other.

I had read about using a "primary" router to handle the DHCP and putting the VPN'd router behind that - but not quite sure how that would be setup (details).  Likely the non VPN PC's would be connected to the "primary" router and the others through the VPN router...but then I have a Gigabit network inside the house...so that seems to complicate things.

That's the general details - can anyone point me towards any resources?

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 7:21 PM

All replies

• Anybody?

Does anybody know of any good Networking Support forums I can post this at?  I keep Googling but haven't stumbled upon a good place to pose these questions.

Thanks!

Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:15 PM
  • The general answer, as I think I mentioned elsewhere, is to nail up a site to site VPN connection, which will put your local (to you) network on the same network as your server. In it's simplest form that sends all external (to the local network) traffic through the VPN.

There are ways of configuring various VPNs to split traffic, but the whole subject is very dependent on your VPN solution (hardware, router OS, etc.) and off-topic for these forums, I'm afraid. You could ask in one of the OS-related Technet forums, or you could ask in a networking forum on one of the large review sites, too. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 24, 2010 12:37 PM