GalContacts.db

Question

•  

I am having an issue where it looks like the address book service is running but the galcontacts.db is very small so I don't think it is pulling any data.  When I look in the event log on the server, it says it is creating a a file but the number of contacts = 0 in event id 21011.  Any suggestions?
    Monday, October 27, 2008 7:58 PM

Answers

• This has been resolved.  There was an issue with my table structure.  Not sure why but when I changed the datatypes in the table it worked.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:30 PM

All replies

• Is this a new deployment or was it working and suddenly stopped building files correctly for clients?

Monday, October 27, 2008 10:05 PM
  • well it was working previously.  I noticed the database tables were empty as well so I was thinking it might have something to do with the user replicator service.

Monday, October 27, 2008 11:36 PM
  • You might want to try recreating the address book files on the server.  Move them all to a backup folder and then re-run the steps to regenerate and resync the data, and then forece a client update:

http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=17

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:25 AM
  • I should mention that this is in LCS 2005...I know this is the OCS blog but  I could find an area on LCS. 

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:39 PM
  • I think this issue is due to the user replicator service not writing to the db correctly.  I have reinstalled this and it created the tables in the db but they continue to be empty.  There is an error in the log when the address book service is run:

synchronization pass failed

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Address Book Service
    Event Category: (1008)
    Event ID: 21037
    Date:  10/28/2008
    Time:  1:30:27 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: COMPUTER NAME
    Description:
    Exception occurred during the synchronization pass.

Exception: Specified cast is not valid.
    Resolution:
    Examine the event text in the application event log to determine the possible cause.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Any ideas?
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 6:44 PM
  • Did you change the : Sample_Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt file?

Maybe you have entered some wrong information as it seems to be a conversion problem from data out of AD or the TXT file

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 12:34 AM
  • What shows up in the Application event log 'text' that is referenced in the OCS event log message?
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 12:59 PM
  •  

There isn't much in the event log.  The previous message is this:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Address Book Service
    Event Category: (1008)
    Event ID: 21029
    Date:  10/30/2008
    Time:  3:06:13 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: COMPUTER NAME
    Description:
    Following WMI settings will be used for this synchronization pass:

Activated: True
    OutputLocation: \\\\addressbookservice
    SQLServer: Database
    SQLDatabase: rtc
    UseNormalizationRules: True
    Runtime: 130

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The files I have for the normalization are:

+1425$1$2

and the default generic.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:14 PM
  • Can you remove that entry and try again?

Friday, October 31, 2008 12:51 AM
  • This has been resolved.  There was an issue with my table structure.  Not sure why but when I changed the datatypes in the table it worked.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:30 PM