A Question of Infer.Net Strength (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• Ali Yaghoubi posted on 03-31-2011 6:38 AM

Dear John,

I look forward to making a framework of SVM and HMM design and programming by Infer.Net if it would be possible. Would you mind giving me some viewpoints about this subject. I know that now Infer.Net doesn't have so much effectiveness to implement huge graphical models.

Best,

ali 

Friday, June 3, 2011 6:42 PM

Answers

• John Guiver replied on 04-01-2011 9:57 AM

Hi Ali

I don't have a ready-made example to show you. I think it would be best if you said exactly which type HMM model you wanted, what you want to infer etc., and provide me with some toy data. I can then help with the implementation.

John

All replies

• John Guiver replied on 03-31-2011 8:45 AM

Hi Ali

Infer.NET does not support SVMs as these are not Bayesian models. However there are many ways to build Bayesian classifiers. See the Bayes Point machine for example.

You can build HMM models, but what is it exactly that you want to build? There are a large number of variations of HMMs (see the Wikipedia article on HMMs).  Please provide a description of the model and we can advise on how to implement it.

Finally I don't understand your statement "I know that now Infer.Net doesn't have so much effectiveness to implement huge graphical models.". In fact this is one of the goals of Infer.NET. The user guide addresses how to do this the section on building scalable applications.

John

• Ali Yaghoubi replied on 03-31-2011 9:14 AM

Hi John,

I meant if for example I want to implement influential models of HMMs, it may have a slow process while there is a huge amount

of data. Anyway in the scalable applications section you gave enough solutions for that.

Best,

ali

• Ali Yaghoubi replied on 03-31-2011 9:19 AM

Hi again John,

Would you please send me any example of an influential model-HMM about a social interaction between a group based on some data features like speech or face. Just the structure of building the model is important to me now.

Thanks,

ali

• John Guiver replied on 04-01-2011 9:57 AM

Hi Ali

I don't have a ready-made example to show you. I think it would be best if you said exactly which type HMM model you wanted, what you want to infer etc., and provide me with some toy data. I can then help with the implementation.

John