Windows 7 OEM Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone, would like something cleared up as I have had a lot of queries regarding this recently.

I am the manager of a laptop and computer repair shop which also sells custom built computers which we usually preload with windows 7 using an oem license.

We have had a few customers come in that want windows 7 installed on their new macbook but I informed them they would need to purchase a retail copy which is £120 + our labour costs, they then inform me that the computer shop around the corner is only charging £80 + labour, which to me must be an OEM copy as there is no way he could be doing a retail copy at that price.

Am I right in what I am saying? I am sure a lot of people do just use the OEM copies but to me it is not worth the risk as to my understanding on the windows 7 license agreement this is illegal and could end up with hefty fines.

Another problem that we come accross a lot is people who bring their computers in for the operating system to be reinstalled, but sometimes we find they dont have any license key on it, usually they were built buy a friend who put a corporate copy onto the machine, again I inform them they need to purchase a retail copy of the software.

Can anyone clarify on these points?

David

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hey everyone, would like something cleared up as I have had a lot of queries regarding this recently.

I am the manager of a laptop and computer repair shop which also sells custom built computers which we usually preload with windows 7 using an oem license.

We have had a few customers come in that want windows 7 installed on their new macbook but I informed them they would need to purchase a retail copy which is £120 + our labour costs, they then inform me that the computer shop around the corner is only charging £80 + labour, which to me must be an OEM copy as there is no way he could be doing a retail copy at that price.

Am I right in what I am saying? I am sure a lot of people do just use the OEM copies but to me it is not worth the risk as to my understanding on the windows 7 license agreement this is illegal and could end up with hefty fines.

Another problem that we come accross a lot is people who bring their computers in for the operating system to be reinstalled, but sometimes we find they dont have any license key on it, usually they were built buy a friend who put a corporate copy onto the machine, again I inform them they need to purchase a retail copy of the software.

Can anyone clarify on these points?

David

You are asking legal questions on a Peer to Peer forum which is only sponsored by Microsoft so whatever answers you get are purely speculative. That said:

Depending on the country that the OEM is being sold in, some are freely distributable without a new computer purchase but in other countries it is "legally" sold only with a new computer. 

Yes, if they can't produce a license for the product installed (COA sticker) then they have no right to that operating system or software.  If it is a company computer then the volume license may be legal but if the friend installed the software from a business onto a non-employee's computer then it is absolutely pirated. 
    While most computers from major manufacturers are sold with a version of OEM Windows preinstalled, there must also be a COA sticker attached to the computer.  That will tell you what OS the computer was shipped with and unless the owner can come up with a retail upgrade or full install for a newer operating system you would be correct in refusing to install the pirated operating system. 
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:24 AM
  • Hello Bubbauk,

I recommend posting in one of the System Builder forums at http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/community/social/pages/system_builder_forums.aspx

Note: be sure to follow the directions closely since access to those forums rely on your forums account using the same Windows live ID as used for the OEM Partner Center website.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:26 PM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:26 PM