Best way to move mailboxes or database from 2003 to 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am currently building a new DC. I do not want to migrate from the old DC as there are too many issues with it. I have built the new one and set it up with all the users and group policies. Is there a way to bring accross the users mailboxes easily without being in the same forest and set them up in the new exchange server?

Regards,

Stuart
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Stuart,

Thank you for posting here. I'm JohnJr and I'll be assisting you with this technical issue.

From the problem description, I understand you want migrate user's mailboxes across forests. If there is any misunderstanding, please let me know.

Sorry but there is no direct way to backup the mailbox store of Exchange 2003 and restore it on Exchange 2007. 

S
    ince only mailboxes are required to transfer between the two organizations, I suggest running Exchange Migration Wizard on the Ex2k3 and after the .pst files are extracted from the mail stores, save these files onto Ex2k7 and distribute them among clients. The detailed steps are listed below:

Step 1: Run Exchange Migration Wizard

---------------------------------------------

1.       On the Ex2k3, click 'Start' and navigate to 'All Programs'->'Microsoft Exchange'->'Deployment'->'Migration Wizard'.

2.       Open 'Migration Wizard' and in the 'Exchange Server Migration Wizard' window, click 'Next'.

3.       Select 'Migrate from Microsoft Exchange' and click 'Next' twice.

4.       Now clarify the migration destination. Since the Ex2k7 in not in the organization right now, select 'Migrate to .pst files' radio button and specify a location for these files. Then click 'Next'.

5.       Untick 'Exchange 5.5 Server' and provide the server name and administrator's credential for authentication. Then click 'Next'.

6.       Set the message filter per your request. Tick 'Create/modify mailbox accounts' and then click 'Next'

7.       Select which user's mailbox that needs to be exported and then click 'Next'.

8.       Please wait for the 'Migration Progress' till accomplishment.

Now, there are .pst file(s) extracted at the assigned location.

Step 2: Create a new profile for client newly connected to the new organization.

----------------------------------------------

Please refer to the following article:

How to create and configure an e-mail profile in Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;829918

Step 3: Import the corresponding .pst file to the user's Outlook.

1.       Copy the corresponding .pst file to the user.

2.       Open Outlook

3.       Under the File menu, select Open

4.       Under the Open menu, select Personal Folders File (find the corresponding .pst file).

5.       Click the OK button.

6.       You will view your Folder List in your Navigation Pane to see the archives.

Please try the suggested steps at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear, please feel free to post back. I am standing by for your update.

Best Regards

JohnJr

• Marked as answer by ninjastu Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:34 AM
    Monday, August 17, 2009 1:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Stuart,

Thank you for posting here. I'm JohnJr and I'll be assisting you with this technical issue.

From the problem description, I understand you want migrate user's mailboxes across forests. If there is any misunderstanding, please let me know.

Sorry but there is no direct way to backup the mailbox store of Exchange 2003 and restore it on Exchange 2007. 

S
    ince only mailboxes are required to transfer between the two organizations, I suggest running Exchange Migration Wizard on the Ex2k3 and after the .pst files are extracted from the mail stores, save these files onto Ex2k7 and distribute them among clients. The detailed steps are listed below:

Step 1: Run Exchange Migration Wizard

---------------------------------------------

1.       On the Ex2k3, click 'Start' and navigate to 'All Programs'->'Microsoft Exchange'->'Deployment'->'Migration Wizard'.

2.       Open 'Migration Wizard' and in the 'Exchange Server Migration Wizard' window, click 'Next'.

3.       Select 'Migrate from Microsoft Exchange' and click 'Next' twice.

4.       Now clarify the migration destination. Since the Ex2k7 in not in the organization right now, select 'Migrate to .pst files' radio button and specify a location for these files. Then click 'Next'.

5.       Untick 'Exchange 5.5 Server' and provide the server name and administrator's credential for authentication. Then click 'Next'.

6.       Set the message filter per your request. Tick 'Create/modify mailbox accounts' and then click 'Next'

7.       Select which user's mailbox that needs to be exported and then click 'Next'.

8.       Please wait for the 'Migration Progress' till accomplishment.

Now, there are .pst file(s) extracted at the assigned location.

Step 2: Create a new profile for client newly connected to the new organization.

Please refer to the following article:

How to create and configure an e-mail profile in Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;829918

Step 3: Import the corresponding .pst file to the user's Outlook.

1.       Copy the corresponding .pst file to the user.

2.       Open Outlook

3.       Under the File menu, select Open

4.       Under the Open menu, select Personal Folders File (find the corresponding .pst file).

5.       Click the OK button.

6.       You will view your Folder List in your Navigation Pane to see the archives.

Please try the suggested steps at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear, please feel free to post back. I am standing by for your update.

Best Regards

JohnJr

• Marked as answer by ninjastu Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:34 AM
    Monday, August 17, 2009 1:54 AM
  • Hello Stuart,

In addition to JohnJr please check this below article for moving mailboxes from exchange 2003 to exchange 2007 in cross forest.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997145.aspx

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/11/02/430289.aspx

Thanks
    Hussain
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 11:57 PM
  • Hi

Thank you for your responses but I have already completed the processes now.

Regards,

Stuart
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:34 AM