none
Firefox post editing messed up RRS feed

• Question

• Well, it is as bad as I thought it would be.  The post rarely renders the way it looks in the editor, preview is useless.  PLEASE don't formatting tags in the post.  The <br /> that FireFox generates when I press the Enter key works just fine, I DON"T want a <p>.
    Hans Passant.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 2:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• if you want a <br>, try using shift-enter.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Friday, January 23, 2009 4:10 PM
  • Hard to hold down the Shift key with two fingers crossed behind my back.  I reckon you'll get plenty of flak over this from other FF users.  Let's see...
    Hans Passant.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 6:36 PM
  • We were getting lots of flak for having the default enter behavior be a <br> (I forget the actual problem, but I think it affected quoting or inserting code.)

Friday, January 23, 2009 11:00 PM
  • Here's an example of that the problem was:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/a0ebc598-f85f-400e-bb9b-4d43305dd351

Friday, January 23, 2009 11:13 PM
  • So, you've got some users complaining about toolbar buttons not working properly.  Nothing new there.  And instead of fixing the toolbar button code, Telerik decided it should be fixed by changing the Enter button code.  Nice.  An old Halflife mod I played a long time ago jumps to mind: "We can do more damage that way!"

I patched the post editor javascript at the old forum site before, injecting Xinha.  Can you give me a hint where to look?

Hans Passant.
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:41 AM
  • Here's an example of a messed up post.  I intended to have blank line between the introduction and the code.  It showed a blank line in the editor, preview too.  But gets rendered without one.  What's going on here?

Hans Passant.
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 1:02 PM
  • Hello,
        This isn't just a FF browser problem, because I am using IE7 and have the same problem.

How are a plum and a rabbit similar? They're both purple, except for the rabbit.
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 4:16 PM
  •  That should just be CSS. Looking at your example, it's enclosed in a <p> but the current global css rule for <p> is margin-bottom of 1em (not sure why that was done). We should just override for message body p's to have top and bottom margins.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 6:18 PM
  • mattfras said:

Here's an example of that the problem was:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/a0ebc598-f85f-400e-bb9b-4d43305dd351

So, you have an issue that affects a few users, and you "fix" it with a solution that screws up everybody, and in the process, creates editor behavior that doesn't exist in any other forum. Slick.

This is not the design pane of a development tool, and hitting Enter should not create a new paragraph. It is a text editor with limited formatting capabilities, and hitting Enter should result in a new line, not a new paragaph. Please give us back the former behavior.

cheers,
    scott

Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:23 PM
  • Reverted enter behavior will go live in next weeks update.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 5:55 PM
  • Thanks Rob.
    Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:24 PM
  • There's been migration going on this week and we only have certain windows of opportunity to get things pushed. But as luck would have it, it appears we're going to be able to get this update out later today. I'll reply again when it does go live.

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Friday, January 30, 2009 6:48 PM
  • This update is now live.

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 3:47 AM
  • Just to emphasize: this is still not resolved.
    Hans Passant.
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Two servers in rotation were found to not have had the updated applied. As of now, this should happen no more.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:26 AM
  • nobugz said:

An old Halflife mod I played a long time ago jumps to mind: "We can do more damage that way!"

That's friggin funny, dude!  That image is going to be in my head all night now.
    Thanks,
    Corey Furman @ Facebook
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:01 AM