Cannot run Windows Update RRS feed

• Question

• First let me explain what has led up to this problem.

This is the 3rd time this same OS has been reinstalled on the computer. Everytime i've gone through the call-in activation and have had it successfuly done. 1st and 2nd time I had no issues with Windows Update. Well, today I had to, yet again, install Windows Vista Business 64bit on the machine. I installed a Raid card and we had some issues and thought since we havn't started to use the machine yet we would just reinstall Vista, which I did. Upon completing the installation I called Microsoft Activation Line and had it successfuly activated by a live customer support person (in India of course). Well, when I try to run Windows Update it gives me this error after trying to check for updates: "Error(s) Found: Code 80072F8F". I don't have a clue what the error means. That code numbers/letters is different everytime I try to run windows update. Is this problem associated with the activation procedures being done wrong?

When I called for customer support the jerks wanted $60 because I bought this vista edition as OEM from zipzoomfly.com and they weren't going to give me support. Can someone please give me an idea what is causing this?
    • Moved by Sheng Jiang 蒋晟 Sunday, May 10, 2015 4:33 PM Not dev related. Use answers.microsoft.com instead.
    Friday, November 16, 2007 10:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi.  I had this exact error code when I tried to install a copy of Windows 8 on my laptop.  Windows installed and seemed to work fine.  When I tried to use the updates it told me that it couldn't update because my copy wasn't activated.  Check that first.  Next, after I activated it over the phone with Microsoft I AGAIN got the error code saying my computer wouldn't update with a box that said 'What this code means.'  The box was not even an answer.

After 1:47 minutes on the phone with a nice Microsoft (and very frustrated) Indian support guy who could NOT connect with my computer because of the error code, even trying LogMeIn, he gave up and escalated the problem and said the Microsoft 'A-Team' would be calling me back. 

Before they did, however, I noticed that the clock had the year 9999.  I changed it to 2015 and suddenly everything worked fine and the updates went through.  The exact same thing happened on my son's computer.  Both copies of Windows 8 were bought at the same time.  When it was first released I got an email from Microsoft saying that since I was such a good customer that- for a short time- I could buy Windows 8 for only $35.00 apiece.  I called immediately and bought TWO copies.  When installed they both had the year as 9999.

Here's my complaint: When I tried to upgrade to Windows 8.1 it wouldn't let me. After calling Microsoft they told me that the version I bought wasn't upgradable!

Monday, March 2, 2015 4:08 PM
  • Incorrect Date / Time (error 80072f8f)

If you receive Windows Update error 80072f8f while checking for updates, your device date and time might not be the same as the date and time for the online Windows Update service.

Check that your device date + time is correct. Sometimes it helps to ‘reset’ automatic date + time settings (off>on).

If you do not have a SIM card make sure that the manual selection is correct for your time-zone!

Here a list of the most common Windows Phone 8 error codes. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/uk_faculty_connection/archive/2015/03/27/windows-phone-update-error-codes.aspx
    Thursday, May 7, 2015 1:44 PM