Redeploying Assemblies RRS feed

• Question

• Let's say you got your new server, installed the software and restored your organization_MSCRM.  Also note that all the assemblies are in the database so you exported the existing plugin registration configuation and imported it to the new location.  Assumedly the plugins are all operating on the system.  But what of the workflow activities?  Do all the workflow rules using workflow activities have to be touched to connect up to the assemblies?
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:49 PM

Answers

• Yes. The workflow rules and workflow activities are collectively deployed. I haven't heard of anyone doing these seperately. I also haven't come across this myself, though I din't personally notice and haven't heard complaints of any workflows missing. :)
    Best Regards,
    Gagandeep Singh
    http://mscrmnovice.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, May 17, 2010 7:37 PM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 2:35 PM

All replies

• You are not very clear with your question. I will anyway attempt based on my assumptions

1. Plug-in assemblies - If you've registered them in the database, you don't have to work about deploying them as they have already been shipped to your new deployment while you backed up, restored and imported your Organization using the Deployment Manager.

2. Workflows - These are also transported as part of your activity.

3. Custom Workflow activities - Also can be registered in the database which are again moved as part of your backup and restore activity.

Hope I was right with the assumptions!

Best Regards,
    Gagandeep Singh
    • Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Wednesday, April 21, 2010 3:47 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by mardukes Friday, May 14, 2010 8:22 PM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:11 PM
  • If you are only redeploying your organization database, all plugins, configurations, workflow activities are contained in the database (when you registered them into the db).

There is no reason to register the plugins again.

• Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Wednesday, April 21, 2010 3:46 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by mardukes Friday, May 14, 2010 8:22 PM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 11:04 AM
  • Yes, thank you, but I am one step beyond that -- actually I'm asking if there is another step beyond that.  The workflow rules (gui) use the workflow activities (assembly).  Is that connection between them "whole" after the database and registration steps?
    Friday, April 16, 2010 2:25 PM
  • Yes. The workflow rules and workflow activities are collectively deployed. I haven't heard of anyone doing these seperately. I also haven't come across this myself, though I din't personally notice and haven't heard complaints of any workflows missing. :)
    Best Regards,
    Gagandeep Singh
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, May 17, 2010 7:37 PM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 2:35 PM
  • Apparently there are issues.  We hauled one over and immediately started getting "Unable to load plug-in assembly" error messages.  Then when the plugin was unregistered the errors went away -- of course, so does the functionality.

Does anyone actually know how this is supposed to work?  What the considerations are?  Does Microsoft offer anything more than some 3-step how-to devoid of any knowledge base?  Have they actually outlined someplace what the deployment manager does and what it requires of us?

Friday, May 14, 2010 8:22 PM
  • Hi,

make sure that either the architecture of the new system is the same as the old system (x86/x64) or that the assemblies are built architecture independent.
    And of course, the plugins have to be registered into the database and not on disk.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 9:48 AM