Possible to make HKLM\<ENTER-NAME> writable on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm a developer using Visual Studio 2005 and a .NET 2.0 application. The app work fine on Windows XP but not on Windows 7. The app writes to a specific keys under HKLM\MyCompanyName.

Is it possible to make HKLM\MyCompanyName (and child nodes) fully writable (both programmatically and manually) while maintaining the general Windows 7 security for other parts of the HKLM registry? These changes can be made manually because the app is a low volume, highly technical app that gets installed on a dedicated PC in a factory. Ideally there should be no UAC prompts and no Registry Virtualisation or any other software source code changes should be required.

Thanks in advance,
    Alain

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:34 AM

Answers

• "Alain Dekker, 2" wrote in message news:4beb5d54-bdb5-4cc2-977e-1b0ae23311de...

Hi,

I'm a developer using Visual Studio 2005 and a .NET 2.0 application. The app work fine on Windows XP but not on Windows 7. The app writes to a specific keys under HKLM\MyCompanyName.

Is it possible to make HKLM\MyCompanyName (and child nodes) fully writable (both programmatically and manually) while maintaining the general Windows 7 security for other parts of the HKLM registry? These changes can be made manually because the app is a low volume, highly technical app that gets installed on a dedicated PC in a factory. Ideally there should be no UAC prompts and no Registry Virtualisation or any other software source code changes should be required.

Thanks in advance,
    Alain

Please post  in a more appropriate forum - this post is sufficiently close to your ealrier one that it could beincluded in the same question - certainly in the same forum.

[edited to improve accuracy]

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:53 AM

All replies

• "Alain Dekker, 2" wrote in message news:4beb5d54-bdb5-4cc2-977e-1b0ae23311de...

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
    Alain

Please post  in a more appropriate forum - this post is sufficiently close to your ealrier one that it could beincluded in the same question - certainly in the same forum.

[edited to improve accuracy]

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:53 AM
  • Hi Noel,

I appreciate your eagerness, but this is not a duplicate of the other thread. This one asks whether a specific HKLM registry key can be made free for writing to; the other asks if UAC can be turned off completely.

Your (incorrect) reply has reduced the likelihood that anyone who does know the answer will answer it!
    Alain

<Noel D Paton> wrote in message news:b84da2e5-11a7-4a3c-996a-bae996a953fe@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

"Alain Dekker, 2" wrote in message news:4beb5d54-bdb5-4cc2-977e-1b0ae23311de...

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
    Alain

Please stick to the one thread - in the most appropriate forum (which is not here!)

[MODS - please lock as duplicate]

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC <http://www.crashfixpc.co.uk> | The Three-toed Sloth <http://foot.crashfixpc.co.uk>

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:06 PM
  • Sorry about that.

The answer would be the same anyhow  - post in the ITPro forums.:)

I suspect that you will be told on this issue that it can't be done - although I have a feeling that in a static situation such as you are talking about that it may be possible, it's likely to make system maintenance a bit of a nightmare.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Hi Noel,

You're probably right that system maintainence becomes trickier, and the long term solution is to fully embrace the Windows 7 way of doing things...but thats just not an option in the short term. These machines are not consumer systems going into homes, but dedicated systems in a factory. Slightly trickier maintainence would be a welcome price to pay if we could just get this to work!

Alain

<Noel D Paton> wrote in message news:35f61059-5fda-46c9-a134-cd8e86eeb618@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Sorry about that.

The answer would be the same anyhow - post in the ITPro forums.:)

I suspect that you will be told on this issue that it can't be done - although I have a feeling that in a static situation such as you are talking about that it may be possible, it's likely to make system maintenance a bit of a nightmare.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC <http://www.crashfixpc.co.uk> | The Three-toed Sloth <http://foot.crashfixpc.co.uk>

Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:27 PM