OEM Install RRS feed

• Question

• After much research, I decided to order all of the parts and software to build myself a WHS box.  This is the fourth or fifth system I have built with parts from TigerDirect, so I did not expect any issues.

I have been trying for two days to install the OEM version of WHS TigerDirect sold me:

1)  This OEM version comes with a 40 plus page "Windows Home Server OEM Preinstallation Kit Users's Guide (WHS_OPK.doc)
    2)  The only way to get help it appears is for my organization to join the "Microsoft Partner Program" as a System Builder. (I am just a guy trying to set up a WHS box for my personal use and I don't have an organization) 
    3) The WHS_OPK document directs me to run the installation up to the final reboot and exit the install program with Ctrl F4 (does not seem to do anything, so I exit with Alt F4)
    4) Copy files from the OEM PreInstall disk and run the "Sysprep" program.  
    5) This box is unable to access my network or be seen by my other computers but all the hardware checks out if I boot it with another OS

I don't do this very offten, but uncle!  Does anyone have a step by stem solution?
    Thanks,

Saturday, August 29, 2009 12:38 PM

All replies

• After much research, I decided to order all of the parts and software to build myself a WHS box.  This is the fourth or fifth system I have built with parts from TigerDirect, so I did not expect any issues.

I have been trying for two days to install the OEM version of WHS TigerDirect sold me:

1)  This OEM version comes with a 40 plus page "Windows Home Server OEM Preinstallation Kit Users's Guide (WHS_OPK.doc)
    2)  The only way to get help it appears is for my organization to join the "Microsoft Partner Program" as a System Builder. (I am just a guy trying to set up a WHS box for my personal use and I don't have an organization) 
    3) The WHS_OPK document directs me to run the installation up to the final reboot and exit the install program with Ctrl F4 (does not seem to do anything, so I exit with Alt F4)
    4) Copy files from the OEM PreInstall disk and run the "Sysprep" program.  
    5) This box is unable to access my network or be seen by my other computers but all the hardware checks out if I boot it with another OS

I don't do this very offten, but uncle!  Does anyone have a step by stem solution?
    Thanks,

First, there is no free support for WHS because it's only available as an OEM/System Builder license (which basically means you are your own support).

As for the OPK, don't even mess with it.  (That's only used by companies who are creating master images.)  Just install from the installation DVD.
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 1:13 PM
  • And leave the DVD in the WHS until you're entirely done with the install! Seems like it's taking forever, but be patient, it will finish!

Cruise
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 2:36 PM