Get system to not put data on system disk? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure if this behaviour is normal.  I have an HP MSS, which came with one 500gb drive.  I added about 200gb of data, then added a 1TB drive, and turned on folder duplication.  So data is being stored on the system drive, and the 1TB drive.  Only about 300gb is being used on each drive. 

Next I installed a second 1TB drive, added it to the storage pool, everything looks good...  However the 300gb is still sitting on the system disk, and the duplicate is on the original 1TB, but the second 1TB is still completely empty.

First of all is this normal behaviour?  Is WHS supposed to go and move data off the system disk when there is room on the storage disks? 

My biggest concern is that if the system disk were to fail, would a server restore be able to rebuild the data from the storage pool?

Is there any supported (IE not some weird hack) method of getting the system to move data to the other disks, and only use the sytem disk when the others run low on space?

Friday, March 27, 2009 6:53 PM

Answers

• The behavior you're seeing is completely normal. The server allocates storage according to an algorithm that favors using a disk which already has data on it. 

For your last question, no there's no supported way to control waht data is where, or which disks contain data.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, March 27, 2009 8:03 PM
  • activoice said:

My biggest concern is that if the system disk were to fail, would a server restore be able to rebuild the data from the storage pool?

Adding to Ken's remarks:
    Yes, as long as you set file duplication for your shares you will be fine...

Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by activoice Friday, March 27, 2009 10:36 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 9:51 PM

All replies

• The behavior you're seeing is completely normal. The server allocates storage according to an algorithm that favors using a disk which already has data on it. 

For your last question, no there's no supported way to control waht data is where, or which disks contain data.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, March 27, 2009 8:03 PM
  • activoice said:

Adding to Ken's remarks:
    Yes, as long as you set file duplication for your shares you will be fine...

Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by activoice Friday, March 27, 2009 10:36 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 9:51 PM
  • Ok Great, thanks.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 10:34 PM