Windows Office XP already activated - but I keep being reminded to activate! RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had to reinstall Windows XP on my computer. Thereafter I installed my Microsoft Office XÅ Standard Version 2002, this being an Upgrade to my old Microsoft Office 97 Professional Edition. I then activated Office XP, and proceeded to download the many many updates and patches from Microsoft Update. If I go to f.ex. Word or Excel and try to activate, I get the message "This product has already been activated". Also when I try to activate from Microsoft Office Tools. However, once a day, when I open a Doc or Xls, I am reminded that I must activate! I press "Learn More" and am taken tp Micrsofts page which postulates that my Office is not genuine. So, what can I do???
    • Moved by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:34 PM Office issue moved to Office forum (From:Windows XP Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows XP))
    Friday, February 5, 2010 1:59 PM

Answers

• Mods, please move to Office section of the forum.

Hello Hans Chr. Enevoldsen,

Occasionally Office XP (aka Office 2002) and Office 2003 will have a problem with "remembering" if they are activated or not, and this problem will cause the OGA Notifier to report Office as not activated and nongenuine.

The usual cause for this issue is a corrupted or damaged Office license file.

To troubleshoot this issue, please follow the methods in this MS KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/

Most people tell us that running the MS FixIt in Method 2 takes care of the problem.  After running the FixIt, restart the computer.  Then open an Office program such as Word.  Upon opening Word, Office should display the Activation Wizard.  Go ahead and activate normally online.  After activation, restart the computer.  Keeping Office programs closed for the moment, visit www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on the Validate Office button to validate normally.  Once validated, now you can open Office programs to make sure that you are no longer presented with activation or nongenuine notices.

Please post back to let us know if this fix worked for you.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:33 PM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 4:05 PM

All replies

• Mods, please move to Office section of the forum.

Hello Hans Chr. Enevoldsen,

Occasionally Office XP (aka Office 2002) and Office 2003 will have a problem with "remembering" if they are activated or not, and this problem will cause the OGA Notifier to report Office as not activated and nongenuine.

The usual cause for this issue is a corrupted or damaged Office license file.

To troubleshoot this issue, please follow the methods in this MS KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/

Most people tell us that running the MS FixIt in Method 2 takes care of the problem.  After running the FixIt, restart the computer.  Then open an Office program such as Word.  Upon opening Word, Office should display the Activation Wizard.  Go ahead and activate normally online.  After activation, restart the computer.  Keeping Office programs closed for the moment, visit www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on the Validate Office button to validate normally.  Once validated, now you can open Office programs to make sure that you are no longer presented with activation or nongenuine notices.

Please post back to let us know if this fix worked for you.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:33 PM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 4:05 PM
  • Hello, first let me say this is regarding Win7 Pro on a 64 bit machine.  After spending hours reading and trying various scenarios I tried you approach.

I went through the whole speil, method 2, ran the Fixit, rebooted, opened Excel 2003 only to get the activation wizard, it said I'm good to go after activating it.

Per your instructions, rebooted again, validated Office and MS said it was good!  Opened Excel 2003 from the start menu and Office 2010 Starter Excel came up!  Closed it and brought up Excel 2003 from the All Programs menu, guess what, samo-samo!

Bottom line, is Win7 Pro on a 64 bit machine compatible with Office 2003?

John

Nitromuse
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 5:56 PM
  • Please repost your inquiry in the Microsoft Office Products Forum.  Thank you!
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 9:58 PM