CRM 4.0 Custom Report without security RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to create a custom report that doesn't use Filtered views in the dataset?

I want all users to be able to see data within a report, even though they don't have access to it in the CRM application.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:23 PM

Answers

• Hi vivian A,

Yes it is possible.

1. What you need to do is create a new data source on the reporting services and run the data source with a user account with permissions to read the tables.

2. On the report build the data sets with queries that query the tables and not filteredviews.

3. Upload the report and on the report server, modify the data source to use the custom data source you created on point 1.

Please mark as answered if this answered your question :)

Regards

Nuno

Visit my blog for CRM material, improving performance, kerberos, IFD, development tips, etc. :) http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by nrodri Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:33 PM
    • Edited by nrodri Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian A Friday, January 20, 2012 10:11 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:32 PM
  • Hi Vivian A,

To subscribe reports you need to store the user credentials, yes you can set up a report using an administrator account which has access to all filteredviews and the data generated will be the same data the users will receive.

When the report runs all data gets onto the file you chosen on the report subscription. Users will receive all data as if they were the system admin running the report.

Please mark as answered and helpful if this answers your question, it will help others with the same questions.

Regards

Nuno

Visit my blog for CRM material, improving performance, kerberos, IFD, development tips, etc. :) http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by nrodri Friday, January 20, 2012 10:07 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 10:07 PM

All replies

• Hi vivian A,

Yes it is possible.

1. What you need to do is create a new data source on the reporting services and run the data source with a user account with permissions to read the tables.

2. On the report build the data sets with queries that query the tables and not filteredviews.

3. Upload the report and on the report server, modify the data source to use the custom data source you created on point 1.

Please mark as answered if this answered your question :)

Regards

Nuno

• Proposed as answer by nrodri Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:33 PM
    • Edited by nrodri Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:33 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:32 PM
  • Thanks Nuno.

If I want to create a report subscription and have this report emailed to all users, do I have to bother with using the tables, or can I just use the filtered views?

Let's say I have the CRM System Administrator role and when I run this report (which uses filtered views), I can see all the data.  I schedule this report, and then create a report subscription that will send to the email addresses of all the CRM users.  

What report will the CRM users see in their inbox?  Will they receive the version of the report that the System Administrator gets?  Or will they see a report that contains only the data that they have access to?    

Friday, January 20, 2012 9:27 PM
  • Hi Vivian A,

To subscribe reports you need to store the user credentials, yes you can set up a report using an administrator account which has access to all filteredviews and the data generated will be the same data the users will receive.

When the report runs all data gets onto the file you chosen on the report subscription. Users will receive all data as if they were the system admin running the report.

Please mark as answered and helpful if this answers your question, it will help others with the same questions.

Regards

Nuno

• Proposed as answer by nrodri Friday, January 20, 2012 10:07 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 10:07 PM
  • great! Thank you Nuno

Friday, January 20, 2012 10:11 PM