LiveID Problem When Making Hub RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How do I recover my LIveID?  I have a paid subscription which I just made into a secure wireless network.  Now I want to create a OneCareCircle but can't login using the same LiveID.  The userid that is pre-programmed into the login cannot be overwritten and I believe it's wrong (not certain about that).  In any case, I logged into this site using a different ID.

Thanks!

Rick
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 4:07 PM

Answers

• If you can log in with the LiveID that is your subscription ID at the Billing site and can see your subscription as active, then you *should* be able to use that in OneCare. One caveat might be that passwords longer than 8 characters have been reported to be a problem with activation, so it may be the same with the hub. You should be able to reconfigure the alternate email address where password change and resets would be sent by logging in at http://account.live.com and you should also be able to change the password there.

On the other hand, there may be a problem with your profile that is causing the issue, so a support contact may be in order.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:01 PM

All replies

•  eyestrain wrote:
    Hi,

How do I recover my LIveID?  I have a paid subscription which I just made into a secure wireless network.  Now I want to create a OneCareCircle but can't login using the same LiveID.  The userid that is pre-programmed into the login cannot be overwritten and I believe it's wrong (not certain about that).  In any case, I logged into this site using a different ID.

Thanks!

Rick

Open OneCare and click on Help/About. That is your subscription LiveID that you would need to use to make the PC a hub and the same LiveID that would need to be used to activate additional computers or reinstalls for your subscription.

Sign into http://billing.microsoft.com with your subscription LiveID to confirm the status of your subscription.

So, are you trying to make the PC into a hub? Do you have OneCare installed and activate/subscribed on more than one PC? Is the Subscription LiveID the same on all PCs (Help/About... in OneCare)?

-steve

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 4:39 PM
  • Hi,

The subject pretty much says it all.  I'm trying to set up a One Care Circle and can't login as my password is not being accepted.  I now know I'm using the right userid as I verfied this in OneCare.  I also believe I'm using the right password.  I can't reset my password because I closed my Hotmail account and that's the only place it will send password reset instructions.  The alternate, secret question procedure, does not work either.  I suspect that I'm being punished because I closed my Hotmail account.  This is such a frustrating time killer. 

Please help.

Thanks,

R
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:05 PM
  •  eyestrain wrote:
    Hi,

The subject pretty much says it all.  I'm trying to set up a One Care Circle and can't login as my password is not being accepted.  I now know I'm using the right userid as I verfied this in OneCare.  I also believe I'm using the right password.  I can't reset my password because I closed my Hotmail account and that's the only place it will send password reset instructions.  The alternate, secret question procedure, does not work either.  I suspect that I'm being punished because I closed my Hotmail account.  This is such a frustrating time killer. 
    Please help.
    Thanks,
    R

One additional fact.  I can login to my billing account.  There does not appear to be any way of resetting the userid or password there.  So, I could renew my service, I just can't use it. 
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:12 PM
  •  eyestrain wrote:
     eyestrain wrote:
    Hi,

Please help.
    Thanks,
    R

One additional fact.  I can login to my billing account.  There does not appear to be any way of resetting the userid or password there.  So, I could renew my service, I just can't use it. 

ONE MORE FACT: THE BILLING ACCOUNT APPEARS TO BE THE SAME ONE THAT "ALLOWED" ME ACCESS TO THIS FORUM!  SO WHAT GIVES!!!  WHY IS MY DEFUNCT HOTMAIL EMAIL ACCOUNT SACROSANCT FOR SETTING UP A ONE CARE CIRCLE BUT A LESSER STANDARD APPLIES TO TAKING MY CREDIT CARD INFORMATION?

Yes, I'm frustrated.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:26 PM
  • If you can log in with the LiveID that is your subscription ID at the Billing site and can see your subscription as active, then you *should* be able to use that in OneCare. One caveat might be that passwords longer than 8 characters have been reported to be a problem with activation, so it may be the same with the hub. You should be able to reconfigure the alternate email address where password change and resets would be sent by logging in at http://account.live.com and you should also be able to change the password there.

On the other hand, there may be a problem with your profile that is causing the issue, so a support contact may be in order.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:01 PM
  • Hi Steve and thanks for your response.

The problem is I can't log in with the LiveID that is my subscription ID at the Billing site.  I can only log in to the Billing site with another ID.  Once I'm logged in with the other Live ID I can't seem to have any impact on the subscription ID (though, as noted, I'm invited to update my credit card info and renew my subscription - most vexatious!).  This is probably irrelevant but once logged in with the other LiveID I was able to change my alternate email from the subscription ID to an alternate email address (a gmail version of my old hotmail emal address).  Life shouldn't be this complicated!

I did submit a support request.

Any assistance you can offer would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Rick
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:24 PM
  • It sure shouldn't be complicated, but I do agree that the cancellation of the Hotmail account may have impacted your subscription profile and ability to log in. I'm not quite clear how logging in with a *different* LiveID showed you the OneCare subscription. That would indicate that the subscription *is* under that different LiveID and not the one you are trying to use. You cannot see your OneCare subscription using a different LiveID.

Do let us know your progress with support.

-steve

Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:21 PM
  • I have re-read the thread and am still trying to understand the issue and cause.

As I understand it, you have OneCare installed on one or more computers. On at least one PC, it is activated and in green status. When you go to Help/About on that PC, the subscription ID shown is your old Hotmail LiveID that you closed. You are unable to login at http://billing.microsoft.com with that LiveID and you are not able to make that PC a hub PC as the login is being rejected.

In your first post you stated:

The userid that is pre-programmed into the login cannot be overwritten and I believe it's wrong (not certain about that).  [/qoute]

Could you clarify on what PC you are seeing this dialog and what action you are performing when doing this?

And, is the "pre-programmed" LiveID the on you can sign into the Billing site with or is it your old Hotmail account?

Do you have OneCare on another PC? Is it activated or in trial mode? When you go to Help/About on that other PC, what is the Subscription ID? Is it the same as the one shown on the first PC and the "pre-programmed" LiveID when trying to make that PC a hub? Or, are you trying to activate on the second PC and you see this "pre-programmed" LiveID in the activation dialog?

-steve

Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:30 PM
  • Stephen,

Support was able to help me resolve the problem.  Had to dl some software to unsubscribe the hub computer and immediately resubscribe with a new email address.  This solution actually became apparent based on a suggestion I read on these boards. Something you said about using the help function within OneCare.

Now Support is helping me with another related issue which is adding pc's to the secure network that don't have OneCare.

Thanks for your help!

Rick
    Monday, August 4, 2008 1:45 PM
  •  eyestrain wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks!

Rick

I have the same problem. I think that I used my spaces. live.com id (Hotmail) to ad a computer into my OneCare account. Now it wants me to renew, but I cannot sign it, since it doesn't accept my password, which is set true my alternate email (Rogers). I would like to change my spaces. live id to (Rogers), but I don't know how to change my profile in spaces.com.

Help!

Andre

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:31 PM
  • Andre,

When you open OneCare and click Help/About... is the subscription ID the LiveID you are unable to sign in with? If so, have you tried a password reset/forgot password?

Since you subscription is expiring and you don't have a credit card on file, the easiest solution may be to uninstall OneCare when it expires, reinstall it and activate a new subscription with your preferred LiveID. Note that you LiveID does not have to be your primary or alternate email address, it can be a new LiveID created at http://account.live.com - just be sure to set up the alternate email address and secret questions for password resets.

-steve

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:18 PM
  • Where is the password reset button?

Monday, September 1, 2008 1:50 AM
  • Sign in at any LiveID site and click "forgot password."

http://account.live.com

-steve

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 7:12 PM