cannot validate microsoft proof of licence. RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I recently ( with in last 4 weeks) ourchased a second hand Laptop a hp550, with windows vista installed on it from a local second hand computer store.  

Product is HP550,   p/n NA948EA#ABU     s/n CNU9120P33    as this is an older unit the product key strip on the base of the system is badly worn & unreadable, so I cannot up load as being requested by windows activation.

How can I find out the original Product Key Code for my computer.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:34 AM

Answers

• "mac4nufc" wrote in message news:4c07b536-5a12-4ba5-bbc6-9372a0b2b6d4...

HI,

I recently ( with in last 4 weeks) ourchased a second hand Laptop a hp550, with windows vista installed on it from a local second hand computer store.  

Product is HP550,   p/n NA948EA#ABU     s/n CNU9120P33    as this is an older unit the product key strip on the base of the system is badly worn & unreadable, so I cannot up load as being requested by windows activation.

How can I find out the original Product Key Code for my computer.

You can't, unless the previous owner has a record of it. HP do not keep records of which license the attached to which PC.
    You can check to see what the current Key is using Belarc Advisor. www.belarc.com
    You can check what type of Key it is, using the MGADiag tool - which will also tell you its validity.

The best thing for you to do is to either create the System Recovery disks yourself (if the installation allows it), or purchase a set from HP, and then use them to reformat/reinstall - these disks do not require any Key to be input unless the hardware is significantly different from what is expected.

It would appear that the HP550 came as standard with Home Basic - if you have another edition on it, check your COA sticker to see what it should be.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:53 AM