Restore Screen Sizing RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've been experimenting with the V2 backup and it looks like it will do pretty much what I want.

In particular, as a developer, I often want to restore an entire project folder.

I can go in and do a custom restore and indeed, I can sort the available files by folder and select the files one by one.  Two issues:

1)  Selecting the files one by one is tedious and error prone.  I would really like to be able to simply restore entire folders.

2)  The dialog box for selecting files is much too small.  Folder names can become very long and it's very difficult to keep stretching the column, scrolling, etc.  How about making the dialog box resizable???

Bob Cohen

Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:42 AM

All replies

• Very good feedback, thanks. That was requested in previous versions, too. I don't know why the dialog is so small and not sizable.

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:50 PM
  • I completely agree with the resizing issue, and I would add that not only screen should be resizable but also the different list or checklist should be resizable by the users. Also for the checklist, one should be able to select/unselect several items at the same time. I lost some time to get the backup right this time by having to make sure that I clicked each and every document I wanted to save.

Also, it is kind of odd to think of backups in terms of files that one want to exclude from the backup set. I think it should be the way around, tell the system what you want to save not what you want it not saving. For that matter the version 1.X was doing better.

For instance let’s consider the following case. I need to save files some files in the folder E:\Folder\SubFolder\This Folder, while ensuring that I still save the documents (standard filter) in that folder, and excluding any other files.

Here are the tasks to handle with the current version:

1. Make sure that the filter “Other Files” is selected.
    2. Click on ‘Exclude certain folders or files”
    3. Navigate to the proper folder.
    4. Click unselect on the folder.*
    5. Select one by one the items that I want to backup.
    6. Check if any other files in that folder should have been saved by some other filter and reselect them accordingly (go through all documents (if you can remember all the extensions used for documents) and click them to make sure that those will be backup.

*An alternative is to go in the folder and deselect one by one every file that should not be included in the backup.

In all those case, with the current version, this is cumbersome and prone to error.

For that particular task it would be better to be able to define some filters directly on the folder like the rule wizard of Outlook for instance.

Also, this comes with my experience of OneCare 1.X. Several times, mostly because of an issue in OneCare itself, the application has to be de-installed and re-installed (how many time in my last year using OneCare I had the technical support asking me exactly that). While this works most of the time to repair an issue in OneCare itself, it does no good for your backup strategy because of the loss of your backup catalog… Each time so far I had to reinstall OneCare, I also had to restart my backups from the scratch, which is a time consuming operation that one should have the option to avoid.

Monday, July 16, 2007 3:22 PM