Serious problems after changing back up device RRS feed

• Question

• Until changing my backup device, I had no problems with OneCare except that my back up device filled up quite quickly. Because it is a rigmarole dealing with this I replace my USB2 hard drive with a bigger one.

Now centralised backup says it cannot find the device. Local backup still works.

I have posted on this before, the advice being to change the backup setting to no backup, save, and then set up centralised back up again. This did not work, so I contacted support and told them what I hade tried already. I was told to do the same thing again. Again it did not resolve the problem.

So I was told to remove OneCare, reinstal, start over.

This did not work so I was told to do the first thing again which as one muight expect by this point did not work .

I have also tried using Add/Remove Programmes and uninstalling - both options.

To be fair, support might come up with something, the case is still open.

But I have wasted several frustrating hours now and I am beginning to understand why some posts to this forum are very angry.

It should be simpe to change the backup device, it is bound to be the case that it needs to be done sometime  due to a failure or changes in requirements

This problem seems to be insoluble but if anyone can advise me of something which really works I would appreciate this.

Saturday, November 8, 2008 11:00 AM

Answers

• I'll leave this as unanswered, Ray. The reset *should* have worked. Your backup settings are stored on the servers with your subscription, so resetting and saving the plan should clear the old device option. A reinstall would not be the solution at all as these settings are on the server and will be brought down to all PCs on the subscription.

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 3:09 PM
  •  

Steve

Backup is working. I had not noticed a reboot was needed after changing the "irpstacksize"

I have reduced it to 20 decimal and things are still OK

Looking back over the logs, the problem seems to have started after I had trialled PC Pitstop Optimise2 – this will be uninstalled!

I usually look at event log at the sign of trouble but this time I overlooked its potential to help

My suggestion is that Microsoft Support and this forum prompt users to look at event log!

I regret I have wasted alot of people's time as well as my own, but may be someone else will benefit in the future

Sunday, November 16, 2008 9:16 PM

All replies

• I'll leave this as unanswered, Ray. The reset *should* have worked. Your backup settings are stored on the servers with your subscription, so resetting and saving the plan should clear the old device option. A reinstall would not be the solution at all as these settings are on the server and will be brought down to all PCs on the subscription.

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 3:09 PM
  • Steve

thanks for this

Having read it I have switched off centralised backup again and saved it

This time I will wait 24 hours before setting it up again. Maybe the server needs time to catch up

If not I can at least tell suport what you have said and asked htem to try reset the server centrally if they can

Ray

Monday, November 10, 2008 3:34 PM
  • Thanks, Ray. Keep us posted. And, do you have a case ID? I'd like to refer to it in reporting it to support management.

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 4:52 PM
  • Steve

its

Case Reference Number: 1083693712

Monday, November 10, 2008 5:14 PM
  • Perfect, Ray. Thanks.

-steve

Monday, November 10, 2008 5:22 PM
  • Steve

Suport got back asking me to repeat for the third time hte process which I has not worked for me. It is the sane person and I feel he should have noticed htis

I have replied as follows:

This is what you asked me to try before. It did not work. Nevertheless I tried it again and it still does not work.

I also formatted the target disc again to check what was happening. When I save the settings, OneCare finds the disc and puts the following folder on it

“Windows OneCare Backup”

So the save appears to work OK

However, when I try to do a backup it says it cannot find it.

On OneCare forum I have been told that the backup locations are kept on a central server – could you check this and if possible had my backup details cleared so I can start again?

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 11:00 AM
  • I sent information about your case to support management and also to a contact of mine on the OneCare team, but I haven't heard back as of this morning.

It is more than the location that is on the server - the backup setting is apparently profile based in that you can configure Centralized Backup on a hub PC and it feeds that information to the other PCs on your subscription. Since that information goes to the servers and is sent back to all PCs in your Circle, it means that the backup plan for the Circle is being housed on the server as well as on the local PC. To change backup settings, you need to be connected to the Internet.

Why it isn't accepting the new location for backup, however, is a mystery to me. I do hope that we can get this escalated and investigated, Ray.

-steve

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:18 PM
  • I believe I'm having a similar problem.  I had initially chosen to back up to DVD/CD when I set up One Care but when I saw how many discs it would take, I bought an external drive today to use for back-up tasks.  I've gone in and changed the settings to Drive D (my external hard drive), it shows that the location is saved on One Care, but when I attempt to perform a back-up, it continually looks to the DVD/CD location and won't use the external hard drive.  I shut my computer down in case it may need to reboot for the changes to take effect and it did exactly the same thing.  I've sent in an e-mail request for help tonight so it's much too soon to have a response.  Like Ray, I'll wait until tomorrow to see if the server has caught up with the change.  FYI, my service request number is 1084502364.

Your response to Ray at least gives me some hope that a solution may be a simple resetting at the server.  Thank you.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 12:41 AM
  • Pat, did you also disable backup completely between changes and save the settings with no backup and then repeat the configuration for you new drive?

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:24 AM
  •  

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  I went into One Care, clicked "No Centralized Back-Up" and hit save.  Then I clicked again on change settings and clicked on select location and selected my new external drive (which I have already converted from FAT32 to the preferred format).  Then hit save.  I then selected start backup and it once again wanted to save it to DVD/CD. So clicking No Centralized Backup didn't work.  I don't see an actual "Disable Backup" option anywhere. 

Pat

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:46 PM
  • In addition to No Centralized Backup, click on your PC in the left panel and uncheck the option that states "turn on backup on this PC." Then save this plan. Exit and then go back to Change Settings/backup. Click Change Settings in the lower left, then your PC in the upper left, then configure backup with the where/what/when options and save.

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:47 PM
  •  

Steve,

Followed your instructions and it completely resolved my problem.  Both computers are now backed up.  Thank you so much for all your help.  I still haven't heard from Customer Service, so you were a real life saver.

I do have one other question.  When I attempted to open the back-up folders I got a message saying "Windows OneCare Backup\Patricia-CBE1WG is not accessible.  Access is denied."  I don't know if there's a secret to opening these back up files.  I attempted to do it on both the hub computer and the laptop, and got the same message on both.  

Thank you, again, for all your help.  You really saved the day!

Pat 

FYI-- I did click that your response was helpful, but it didn't seem to register in the summary at the top of this group.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:25 AM
  • Hi, Pat. I'm glad I was able to help.

OneCare protects the backup location by preventing access. If you follow the instructions in the FAQ for how to delete backups (post at the top of this forum topic), but don't actually delete them, of course, you can change the permissions for the folder to look at the contents. However, you don't need to do this as you will see a collection of .zip files that are meaningless to you. To see what was backed up and what is available for restore, use the Restore process from within OneCare, but stop short of actually restoring anything.

-steve

Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:19 PM
  • Steve

Apparent success then frustration! I eventually rang up and a lady in Mumbai took control of my computer for an hour

She went the thru the steps set up my backup.

Something different happened when she chose the backup device

My backup disk is partitioned onto J: O: and W:

I have selected the letters as mnemonics.

When I select ‘change location’ the highlight is always on W: and I have to select O:

When she selected ‘change location’ O: was highlighted.

Because the laptop was off we just tried to backup my main computer

Everything worked.

She then tried to set up backup on my laptop, but of course that was not the hub PC and we were getting nowhere fast, so I suggested we logged off and I would continue on my own

But when I did it the highlight was back on W: and I guessed correctly what would happen, I am back to square one, One Care cannot find the back up device!

Top I went thru the whole procedure again, but selected W:

Still it cannot find the device!

I wondered if you had any thoughts before I get back to support.

I do not want to be in a situation where I have go to support every time – I will get this problem again when the disc is full even if support sorted this out now

Friday, November 14, 2008 4:50 PM
  • Is there any reason why you have partitioned the external drive? It should not matter, but it might be the issue. Any chance that you can reformat the drive to a single NTFS partition and simply use folders as Shares to keep data isolated?

-steve

Friday, November 14, 2008 6:40 PM
  • Steve

First a reply to your suggestion – I deleted the 3 partitions and created a new one, although it only used half the disc

The problem remained

Second – this must be a clue to the problem

Every backup attempt consistently gives 3 error reports in the system event viewer

It says

srv error 2011.

Help says

The server's configuration parameter "irpstacksize" is too small for the server to use a local device.  Please increase the value of this parameter.

I have increase the value in steps from 14 to 29, but this has not helped. Before I keep on increasing it I need more advice. Could I do harm? And maybe the "irpstacksize" is not too small, but the message is an indication that something else is wrong

As stated before, I can do a local backup no prob, and remote assistance did not hit the problem

Disc management indicates no problem. But error log has suggested using CHDSC a couple of times

Saturday, November 15, 2008 9:42 AM
  •  

Steve

Backup is working. I had not noticed a reboot was needed after changing the "irpstacksize"

I have reduced it to 20 decimal and things are still OK

Looking back over the logs, the problem seems to have started after I had trialled PC Pitstop Optimise2 – this will be uninstalled!

I usually look at event log at the sign of trouble but this time I overlooked its potential to help

My suggestion is that Microsoft Support and this forum prompt users to look at event log!

I regret I have wasted alot of people's time as well as my own, but may be someone else will benefit in the future

Sunday, November 16, 2008 9:16 PM
  • Thanks for the update and closure, Ray. It is never a waste of time when we all learn something from the experience. It is interesting that the program you installed to "optimize" the PC caused the issue by monkeying with settings that OneCare used. I think the big lesson that is hard to learn is that we shouldn't always be looking to optimize the PC with a variety of programs and services. The reality is that the PC will typically start to get slower over time due to file bloat and OneCare doesn't yet deal with that, hence the desire to check out alternatives.

-steve

Monday, November 17, 2008 4:40 PM