Pool Header Error just after Live OneCare starts backup RRS feed

• Question

•  

Looks like this problem was addressed with the beta release, but the answer was posted as a link.  The link points to a non-existent page.

I have not made any hardware or software changes recently other than automatic updates to Microsoft products on my computer.  OS is WindowsXP Home Edition SP2.

Computer crashes with 'pool header error' just after starting backup.  Backup worked normally until this last time.

Any help for this problem would be appreciated.

Friday, February 1, 2008 1:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• I don't recall the details of that thread, but a bad_pool_header error normally indicates one of two things - a problematic USB or device driver (for the disc - external or CD/DVD) or a conflicting Firewall still running on the PC. I have a vague recollection that the thread during the beta turned out to be caused by either Zone Alarm or Norton's firewall still being active on the PC after OneCare was installed.

Did backup ever work for you and the problem just began or is this a new install of OneCare with the first backup?

-steve

Friday, February 1, 2008 3:49 PM
  • Steve,

Been gone a while, so didn't see your reply until today.

I had been using Live One Care and backup for over a year with no problems.  Problem appeared with no changes to hardware or One Care software.  Never had Zone Alarm or Norton software installed on this computer.

The problem went away for a while after I deleted the Live One Care back-up directory and started over.  However, the external drive had two partitions, which I no longer needed.  Re-partitioned to a single volume today.  Configured back-up from One Care, then started back-up.  Now failing with pool header error again.

Monday, February 18, 2008 1:06 AM
  • That's unfortunate. There was another post for the same error today. The best I can offer at the moment is for you to contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:29 AM