none
Web Service causing timeouts via Community Bridge (v45) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using the Community Bridge (current version) to access the forums via NNTP, as I don't have the ability to connect at times that I have the ability to read. A while back, I noted that there were serious problems getting new messages from four groups, NNTP names Technet.en-US.winserverpowershell, Msdn.en-US.iewebdevelopment, Technet.en-US.ITCG, and Technet.en-US.w7itproui.  A problem with the Web Service was identified and acknowledged, though there was never any announcement of a fix, and I was able to get messages from those groups, provided that I did so one at a time, with no other access to the Web Service concurrently.

Recently, I have found that I cannot get new messages from ITCG and w7itproui. The newsreader reports a timeout on the operation, and then restarts the operation - but then the orphaned session resumes, and this makes it impossible to get new messages, as having multiple concurrent sessions (as the Bridge reports them) guarantees that the active session will time out, starting the whole cycle again.

I emphasize that the problem was with these four groups only, and currently only with the latter two; while other groups that I follow occasionally seem to take an inordinate amount of time to get headers and messages (e.g., Expression.en-US.web and Technet.en-US.winserverGP), they do eventually complete without error.

What other information need I provide to allow for a useful diagnostic, and will these problems be corrected?

(Note: It would also be nice if this forum were also available via NNTP.)

-- Jeff Zeitlin

Thursday, March 22, 2012 10:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• It is available via nntp via the bridge?
    did you edit your time out value in your newsreader?

Friday, March 23, 2012 1:26 AM
  • It is available via nntp via the bridge?
    did you edit your time out value in your newsreader?

The timeout value for this particular type of operation is not modifiable.  I'm not sure what you're asking "It is available ..."; I've already specified that I am using the bridge and NNTP.

The problem is clearly in the Web Service (the part of the forums that the Community Bridge talks to); this isn't the first time that this sort of problem has arisen.

-- Jeff Zeitlin

Friday, March 23, 2012 12:19 PM
  • I mean that the reportabug forum -is- available via nntp.

You said - Note: It would also be nice if this forum were also available via NNTP.)

In Thunderbird I can edit the timeout.  I'd post in the community bridge forum (on codeplex) as it's working fine for me but I did have to edit the nntp/newsgroup time out and bumped it up.

Friday, March 23, 2012 12:27 PM
  • I stand corrected; the last time I interrogated the bridge for a complete list of groups, I didn't find it listed.  I've since refreshed, and I did indeed find it, as Microsoft.en-US.reportabug.

As far as the timeout value... what is it called in Thunderbird, and what value did you set it to?  I'll make some inquiries with respect to my newsreader (Forté Agent), but information for other newsreaders provides clues surprisingly often.

-- Jeff Zeitlin

Friday, March 23, 2012 1:12 PM
  • mailnews.tcptimeout  I set it to 1000 as on the answers community server bridge when I connect to the Windowsupdate forum it needs that value.

Friday, March 23, 2012 2:31 PM
  • On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 14:31:03 +0000, Susan Bradley [MVP] wrote:

mailnews.tcptimeout  I set it to 1000 as on the answers community server bridge when I connect to the Windowsupdate forum it needs that value.

Thanks for your insight on this; it turns out that with my news client,
    the timeout IS modifiable, but only by going into the config/INI file
    and manually editing it. I've got it set for 300 (seconds; I assume that
    yours is also seconds) at the moment; this prevents the problem when I
    get the "problem child" groups - which now includes reportabug -
    individually, but not when I have other retrieval operations running
    concurrently through the MSDN/TechNet bridge. I'll do further
    experimentation, or actual measurement, when I can sit and inspect the
    debug window in "real-time".

Jeff Zeitlin
    jzeitlin+jtas@spamcop.net

-- Jeff Zeitlin
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:06 PM
  • We have bugs logged against the bridge issues, we've been working on it for a while but sadly, no eta yet. We are continuing to try to resolve the issues though. Thanks for the reminder.

Community Forums Program Manager

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:36 AM
    Answerer