Server crashes every few hours RRS feed

• Question

• The first time I installed it it was solid for a couple of days but then it would simply shut down every few hours. When logging back in it would tell me there was a problem with the backup routine. That's fine, I really don't need it to back up my computers(I have Vista 64 on one so it won't anyways). So I ended up doing a format and reinstall.

Same thing, solid as can be for a couple of days and then crashes every few hours.

First i'm thinking there is a heat problem, i've put it in a different case(CMstacker) with plenty of air flow but this didnt' change anything. I under clocked the CPU to reduce temps and that didn't help. Next i'm thinking the PSU is bad. But it's only a month old and was solid when I was running XP on the same system. So i'm hoping it's just something with the RC that is buggy and it's been fixed in the final release.

My specs:

P4 3.4ghz
    2x1gb PC3200
    Asus P4C800-E
    Enermax 500w Liberty
    Voodoo 3
    2x Promise TX4 SATA2 controllers
    1x74gb raptor
    2x160gb seagate
    2x250gb seagate
    1x500gb seagate

Saturday, August 18, 2007 6:33 PM

Answers

• I followed these directions below and have killed the sbscrexe.exe process so i'll report back on if that works.

- Tools you'll need – Process Explorer from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx

As you probably know, you have a service called SBCore or "SBS Core Services", which executes the following process: C:\WINDOWS\system32\sbscrexe.exe

If you kill it, it just restarts – and if you try and stop it you are told Access Denied.

If you fire up Process Explorer, you can select the process and Suspend it, now we can start to disable the thing.

Run regedit  and expand the nodes until you reach the following hive / key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SBCore

Right click this, hit permissions and give the "Administrators" group on the local machine full access ( don't forget to replace permissions on child nodes ). F5 in regedit and you'll see all of the values and data under this key.

Select the "Start" DWORD and change it from 2 to 4 – this basically sets the service to the "Disabled" state as far as the MMC services snap-in (and windows for that matter) is concerned.

Next, adjust the permissions on the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\sbscrexe.exe so that EVERYONE account is denied any sort of access to this file.

Then go back to process explorer, and kill the sbscrexe.exe process, if it doesn't restart – congratulations!

Load up the services MMC snap-in and you should find that "SBS Core Services" is stopped and marked as Disabled.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 2:54 AM
  • You should be aware that you haven't fixed the underlying problem, just masked it. The service you killed is the one that enforces the EULA terms that include "this machine must be the PDC if joined to a domain". If you ever have to reinstall WHS, you're probably going to find that it once again thinks its been joined to a domain, and it will once again start shutting down. Killing that service should give you time to research and find out what it is about your network that caused this problem, however.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 12:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Maybe it the RAM the issue, can you test the ram for msome boot ustilities t obe sure?

Also, in the event viewer, any system error there? like hard disk error?

Is the 74gb the system OS drive or the 500gb seagate one?

Dose it run ok, if for example leave off for hours, then turn it on?

Normally I will test a system like this:

1 - Unplug all the drives and only keep the OS syste mdrive one, and leave to see if it restart.
    2 - Romve one ram and switch the bank of it to test.

If these 2 pass ok, then I add one drive at the time and test.

My best.
    Saturday, August 18, 2007 6:45 PM
  • The 74gb is the main OS drive.

It worked fine when I was running XP on it with a single drive. No ram issues. Would stay on for hours.

I will try it with removing all drives except for the main system drive and see what happens. It's got to either be all the drives for the RC software.
    Saturday, August 18, 2007 8:01 PM
  • I was going through the event viewer and found the problem:

This computer must be configured as a domain controller. It will be shut down in 60 minutes. To prevent this computer from shutting down, run setup on the disk that you used to install the operating system to configure the computer as a domain controller.

That's rather weird. I've installed WHS RC twice and and yet it won't set itself up as a domain controller? All I did was install it. And configure settings via the WHS console. Haven't touched anything else.
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 6:34 AM
  • WHS believes that it has been joined to a domain. The base OS for WHS is a version of SBS, and SBS has some restrictive licensing terms. In particular, if it is in a domain, it must be the PDC. Otherwise you will see the error you're experiencing.

Even if yous et up WHS as your PDC, I think you'll still have problems, because WHS itself isn't designed to uperate as a PDC.

In any case, I suspect that the only way you will be able to recover is by reinstalling WHS and making sure it's not associated with a domain.
    Monday, August 20, 2007 12:42 AM
  • I have no domains. Never have. Just my main Vista x64 desktop and a HTPC.

And i've installed WHS twice with the same problem. There was no option during the install to associate it or not with a domain....
    Monday, August 20, 2007 1:38 AM
  • All I can tell you from a distance is that WHS thinks you've got an AD domain at home, and it thinks it's been joined to that domain as something other than PDC. Is it possible that you've got a Linux box or NAS device providing internal DNS services?

Are you seeing any of the other errors from this Microsoft Support article? WHS is built on top of a version of SBS, so has the same restrictions as SBS.
    Monday, August 20, 2007 11:33 AM
  • I have no linux or NAS.

I do also have all of the errors on that link you posted.

I have one Vista x64 box and a Vista x86 box. One gigabit router and 2 gigabit switches. All connected with CAT6 cable. And one Nintendo Wii. That's currently everything on my network.
    Monday, August 20, 2007 7:15 PM
  • An old fix from NT days was to hack the registry (note this was never supported and may not work in WHS) to change a PDC to a BDC so the reverse may work to get you up and running long enough to get any data of to another drive:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY\Policy and change the PolSrvRo setting from 2 to 3

Then do a reboot and see if that 'cures' the problem.

Note this may only get you up and running it does not fix the reason why.

You may want to load the software while the machine is stand-alone (not even connected to the switch) to see if that works.  If so try each device at a time to see when the box compains.

Monday, August 20, 2007 7:54 PM
  • Take a look at this thread from the forum. The post by Lloyd Ketchum may help.
    Monday, August 20, 2007 9:33 PM
  • I fixed it I think. I went into the add/remove programs and went to add/remove windows components. I think installed Domain Name System from the Networking Services section and I haven't had a shutdown yet.
    Monday, August 20, 2007 10:13 PM
  • scratch that. I bought a couple extra hours between shutdowns but the problem persists. Now trying another method.
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 2:27 AM
  • I followed these directions below and have killed the sbscrexe.exe process so i'll report back on if that works.

- Tools you'll need – Process Explorer from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx

As you probably know, you have a service called SBCore or "SBS Core Services", which executes the following process: C:\WINDOWS\system32\sbscrexe.exe

If you kill it, it just restarts – and if you try and stop it you are told Access Denied.

If you fire up Process Explorer, you can select the process and Suspend it, now we can start to disable the thing.

Run regedit  and expand the nodes until you reach the following hive / key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SBCore

Right click this, hit permissions and give the "Administrators" group on the local machine full access ( don't forget to replace permissions on child nodes ). F5 in regedit and you'll see all of the values and data under this key.

Select the "Start" DWORD and change it from 2 to 4 – this basically sets the service to the "Disabled" state as far as the MMC services snap-in (and windows for that matter) is concerned.

Next, adjust the permissions on the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\sbscrexe.exe so that EVERYONE account is denied any sort of access to this file.

Then go back to process explorer, and kill the sbscrexe.exe process, if it doesn't restart – congratulations!

Load up the services MMC snap-in and you should find that "SBS Core Services" is stopped and marked as Disabled.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 2:54 AM
  • Ok, that did it. Been running every since with no shutdowns.
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 4:45 PM
  • You should be aware that you haven't fixed the underlying problem, just masked it. The service you killed is the one that enforces the EULA terms that include "this machine must be the PDC if joined to a domain". If you ever have to reinstall WHS, you're probably going to find that it once again thinks its been joined to a domain, and it will once again start shutting down. Killing that service should give you time to research and find out what it is about your network that caused this problem, however.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 12:27 PM
  • Thank you fandibus for the hack!

"You should be aware that you haven't fixed the underlying problem, just masked it."

Underlying problem = EULA

I wonder if Microsoft is working on a fix for that one.... :)
    Monday, October 6, 2008 3:34 PM
  • Hi,
    No it isn't. The vast majority of people have their servers running just fine with the SBCore service still running. In this particular case, there is an underlying hardware/software problem which has been exposed by this service. As Ken says, if you ever need to do a server re-install, then you will be back in the same position.
    I do agree that the SBCore service is a 'left-over' and needn't be there - particularly as it interferes with power-saving options, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, October 6, 2008 7:12 PM