One Care Will NOt Update RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Over the past several days I have done numerous system restores that may have caused problems for a few programs.  Today I was alerted by One Care ( OC) that updates were missing.  Each time I attempted to download OneCare's updates by clicking the update button, one or two of the following occurred: 1. the firewall and antivirus turned off;  2.  OneCare closed and when I reopened it, it was blank; 3.  it froze;  4.  it attempted to download the updates but failed.

When I restarted the computer, the icon would not appear until I opened OC in the Start menu.  I used the tool to fix update problems which I read about in this forum:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bc2594b-95ab-4235-b5b8-41656b38480f&DisplayLang=en   w/o success. 

This is the information the tool left behind on one of the notepads entitled, "Caclsdeldb_error":  ERROR:  cacls "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Onecare Live\Database" /T /C /E /G (name):F    error code = 8023 .  There is another notepad, "Cacls Delete Database," with more information. 

I have given as much information as I remember, plus the FF browser also became corrupted and could not be opened.  I was forced to uninstall and reinstall it again.

Any assistance with OC would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Camiele

Vista, Home Premium, Sp2
    WinPatrol
    MBAM
    CCleaner
    SpywareBlaster
    SuperAntiSpyware

• Edited by Camiele Tuesday, August 4, 2009 4:47 AM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 4:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• I suggest uninstalling One Care, run the install cleanup tool - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943 then reinstall One Care. If this does not resolve the issue please contact support. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 4:42 AM
  • Hello Jim,

I have tried to download OC from the advertising page at OneCare.com.  However, it states there are no plans left and that I have a plan.  From where should I download OC?

Camiele
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 5:19 AM
  • You should download the trial from http://onecare.live.com and then activate the trial by opening OneCare and clicking subscribe, signing in with the LiveID for your subscription.
    If that is what you've done and you are getting an error on subscribing and you are sure that this is the LiveID you are subscribed with, please contact support per the instructions Jim linked to above.
    By the way, why have you done numerous system restores lately? It is entirely possible that the problem with OneCare was caused by the System Restores and your database (signatures and rules) have gotten out of whack.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 12:24 PM
  • Good morning Stephen,

Thanks for replying. 

I attempted to download One Care's free trial from the link you provided and was notified there were no plans left.  Fortunately, since OneCare provides 3 activations with a purchase I found a link that allowed me to use another of those activations on this same computer.  I had hoped One Care would recognize this as the original computer, but it did not.  It downloaded and treated this computer as an added computer.  No problem since I had no need for the extra activations.

The numerous restores were due to the new update for the Adobe Flash Player.  I like to watch movies on Justin.tv which now use H264 format.  The new update kills the video in that format.  I downloaded the update in IE and FF.  When I could not view a video in Justin the first 3 times I uninstalled and re-installed the update, carefully following the Adobe instructions.  I read the update was a security update and felt I really needed it.  (Sometimes too much info can be a bad thing.)

The last time I uninstalled the update I decided to do a restore back to my previous version and call it a day.  Then I remembered it was a security risk to continue using the version I was using so I decided to try again, 2 more times.  Only this time instead of uninstalling I began system restores.  After each installation I would test the update by watching a movie on Justin.  It was after the last attempt that I finally received a message indicating that version of the flash player may have a bug and I should use version 9.  (Originally I was using 10.0.22, the update was 10.0.32.)

Then I came across the Adobe player's setting manager while searching for a clue to my update dilemma.  I started messing around with the setting manager and unticked "allow third party flash content to store data on this computer".  Now that I have decided to do without the Adobe's update, I settled back to watch a movie on Justin.  However, now I have no video and no sound.  What happened?  Since I did not know, I restored again to a further point.  And again.  And again until I remembered the setting manager and how everything on Justin is "third party content".

(By this time I bet you are sorry you asked.)  Anywho, I searched for the manager and undid what I did and all was well, not.  FireFox as well as OneCare became corrupted.  Not to mention there were several Microsoft updates which had to be installed again after each system restore.  Lesson learned.  I posted my experience in the Adobe's forum and while there I discovered other Justin.tv lovers who were experiencing the same problem as I, no video.  I explained to them what I had learned and now we hope Adobe will issue an update for their update.

I must learn to explain things in 100 words or less.

Thank you for you assistance, again.

Camiele
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 2:31 PM
  • Not sorry I asked at all. :-) Being curious allows us to learn.
    Now that you have reinstalled OneCare, if you have added the install to your subscription, make one PC a hub PC and then remove the "dead" entry from your Circle. This is optional, but might need to be done if you try to subscribe another copy and have exceeded your license count of activated copies. Once the dead entry or entries are removed from the Circle, you can demote the PC from hub status - stop this PC from being a Hub.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:10 PM
  • Eureka!!

I did it without a restore. -_-  I think.  I removed the (other) pc which was still at risk.  Now when I click Manage OneCare circle, I have 2 options:  Rename pc and add a pc to this circle.  How do I demote this pc?

Also what happened to the feature which allows one to enlarge the font?

Thank you, again.
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 5:15 PM
  • If you don't see any other PCs, this one isn't a hub or it is the only PC currently activated on your account.
    Do you mean the font size on the editor here in the forum? If so, the current editor leave a bit to be desired. One day we may see some more rich text options. Now you have to do it by editing the HTML code.

I did the above by entering tags with "font size=3" and "/font" before and after the text I enlarged.
    -steve

Wednesday, August 5, 2009 12:14 AM