Windows Share Point Services Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running Windows Share Point Services for awhile now and it functions as it should but with one exception.  It keeps throwing the following error:

Source: Windows Sharepoint services 3 search
    Category: Content index server
    Event ID: 4127

Description: Content index on Search could not be initialized. Error The content index is corrupt.   0xc0041800.Component: eaed08d5-e9fd-4824-b332-a9c22ebb1fc7

How do I go about fixing this or is this an inheirant error that I should just ignore?

Thanks for any help you provide with this!

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:51 PM

Answers

• You will be able to activate the software once. After that, you will probably have to call Microsoft to reactivate with the same license key. As long as you're installing it on the same hardware, it should be pretty much a formality, though.

However, I would suggest you do your playing in a virtual environment. You don't have to supply a license key during installation; it will shut down after 30 days, but that's not usually a problem for testing something out.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 6:05 PM

All replies

• Michael,

to fi

x the indexing corruption, you could try:

In Central Administration, under Operations, Click "Services on Server"

Stop the Search service.  (This will remove the link to the offending database)

Start the search service.  (This will take you to the config page. accept default settings, click OK)

Colin

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:22 PM
  • ColinWH,

Thanks for your quick reply.  I tried your suggestion and it produced this message:

WSS_Search_(myservername) on np:\\pipe\MSSQL$Microsoft##SSEE\sql\query contains user-defined schema.  Databases must be empty before they can be used.  Delete all of the tables, stored procedures and other objects or use a different database.

What steps do I need to follow now ?

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 7:47 PM
  • Michael, I've experimented with Sharepoint on Windows Home Server in a lab environment, and didn't encounter the error you mention. I would be suspicious of something you might have tried or done just before you started seeing that error.

You should be aware however that Sharepoint on WHS is not currently supported. It's entirely possible that the error you were originally seeing was part of the reason for that.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:10 AM
  • Ken,

Yes, I'm fairly sure that it was something I changed while experimenting with the application inasmuch as it was working just fine for quite awhile.  Installing Shared Services was really just an effort on my part to see how it would or would not play nice with WHS....so there is really nothing lost here with my current issue.  Rather than definitively track down what I did (And I believe it is an indexing problem after doing just a little more research about it on the web) I just now deleted the app and will reinstall it later.

This brings me to another question you might answer for me.  Since I like to experiment with my WHS and I have not installed it in a virtual environment as yet..,is there any restriction on fresh installs of WHS on the same machine?  Specifically can I play...break the installation....do a fresh install....break the installation again...reinstall  etc etc etc OR will the software refuse to install with the same OEM key on the same machine and require me to call MS for a new one or what?

Thanks ColinWH & Ken for the help with this.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 5:52 AM
  • You will be able to activate the software once. After that, you will probably have to call Microsoft to reactivate with the same license key. As long as you're installing it on the same hardware, it should be pretty much a formality, though.

However, I would suggest you do your playing in a virtual environment. You don't have to supply a license key during installation; it will shut down after 30 days, but that's not usually a problem for testing something out.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 6:05 PM
  • Got it....and I do plan on running my experiments with WHS in a virtual environment...I just hadn't got around to it yet.  There are lots of things that need to be played with eg. video streaming with Adobe applications as well as the new Microsoft video platform player...lots to do!

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 6:51 PM