please help me to activate my product key RRS feed

• Question

• i have the original instalation cd of windows xp sp3 professional, but i don't know activating the activation code that is into it. i have tyed activating it,but nothing. i'm letting 20 digits of my product key and someone please help me as soon as possible because i have only 5 days to activate my product. CD87T-HFP4C-V7X7H-8VY68-xxxxx
    Monday, August 24, 2009 9:31 PM

Answers

• Hello seldi,

If automated activation is not working try the telephonic activation as described below.

Here is an extract of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890:

How to activate Windows XP by using the Internet

To activate Windows XP by using an Internet connection, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.
    2. Click Yes, let's activate Windows over the Internet now.
    3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.
    4. Use one of the following methods:
      • If you want to register and activate Windows at the same time, click Yes, I want to register and activate Windows at the same time, click Read the Windows Registration Privacy Statement, click Back, click Next, type your contact information in the appropriate boxes in the registration form, and then click Next. An asterisk (*) appears next to required information.
      • If you only want to activate Windows, click No, I don't want to register now; let's just activate Windows, and then click Next.
      The wizard establishes a connection with an activation server, and then processes the activation request.
    5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK:
      You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

How to activate Windows XP by phone

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.
    3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.
    4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.
    5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

Troubleshooting

If you cannot establish an online connection by using your modem or an Internet connection, the wizard prompts you to contact a customer service representative to activate your copy of Windows XP by telephone.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:48 AM

All replies

• Hello seldi,

If automated activation is not working try the telephonic activation as described below.

Here is an extract of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890:

How to activate Windows XP by using the Internet

To activate Windows XP by using an Internet connection, follow these steps:

2. Click Yes, let's activate Windows over the Internet now.
    4. Use one of the following methods:
      • If you want to register and activate Windows at the same time, click Yes, I want to register and activate Windows at the same time, click Read the Windows Registration Privacy Statement, click Back, click Next, type your contact information in the appropriate boxes in the registration form, and then click Next. An asterisk (*) appears next to required information.
      • If you only want to activate Windows, click No, I don't want to register now; let's just activate Windows, and then click Next.
      The wizard establishes a connection with an activation server, and then processes the activation request.
    5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK:

How to activate Windows XP by phone

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.
    4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.
    5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

Troubleshooting

If you cannot establish an online connection by using your modem or an Internet connection, the wizard prompts you to contact a customer service representative to activate your copy of Windows XP by telephone.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:48 AM
  • Thank you very much Dan, but i've tryed this way, but te table where i put the activation code of the original installation disc, repeat me the same code when i click to "update"...:( I don't know what to do...  Is there any other way please???
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:19 PM
  • Hello seldi,

I just entered the partial product key into a search engine and came up with over 10 pages of hits.  This is a widely pirated volume licensing product key.

Please run the mgadiag utility here http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 and copy/paste the results.

Next, let's examine your materials.

Please visually check your CoA and compare the Product Key (PK) on the CoA with the last three sets shown by the mgadiag report.  Is your CoA showing the same or different last three?  Note:  DO NOT post the full PK printed on your CoA.

Please closely examine the CD that came with your purchase:

1.  Does the CD read "For distribution with a new PC only" in the upper left?  Is the hologram of the CD embedded within the plastic of the CD, or is it a very thin label affixed to the top surface of the CD?

2.  Pop the CD into a computer and navigate to the setupp.ini file within the \i386 folder.  This is a small file with several lines of text and numbers in two sections.  Please post the text of the second section of the file.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Yes, to the left up i can read "Licensed for distribution only with a new PC". to the right side i can read: includes service pack 3, version 2002 , c Microsoft corporation, Part No. X14-72249
    That software that you sent to me, shows that my validation status is: "not activatetd", and the product key :"xxxxx-xxxxx-rdt36-m9m28-vpvhm", and it's not the same with what i've found into my original xp that is:"CD87T-HFP4C-V7X7H-8VY68-W7D7M", and this maybe becouse i've tryed to activate my windows with one software that is like crack and install it's own product key maybe, i don't know this exactly.
    Now, here is what it was inside the setupp.ini file:
    "[Pid]
    ExtraData=786F687170637175716954806365EF
    Pid=76487OEM"

I wanted to ask a question: How is possible that the key is pirate when i found it into my original cd?
    I'm sending a print screan of the CoA showing and what include the setupp.ini file.

Thank you again for helping me Dan
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:00 PM
  • Hello seldi,

Service Pack 3 for XP implemented a feature that allows you to install XP without entering a valid product key and allows you to operate XP for up to 30 days before you have to enter a valid product key.

The product key now being reported by the mgadiag utility is one of the default temporary product keys that XP SP3 will use during that 30-day grace period when you install XP SP3 and do not enter a product key.

In order to use XP beyond that 30-day grace period, you have to enter a valid product key to replace the default temporary product key.

So this is what you are experiencing at the moment.  You installed XP and now the 30 day grace period is coming to a close.  You tried to activate XP using a product key ending in V7X7H-8VY68-W7D7M but this product key is not activating.  The reason for this seems to be that this is a widely pirated product key that appears to have been blocked by Microsoft's activation servers.

The setupp.ini file from the CD looks to be consistent with an OEM XP CD.

When you purchased this OEM license for XP, you should have received a genuine Microsoft hologrammed XP Pro CD, a blue covered thin user guide pamphlet, and on the back of the pamphlet there should have been affixed a genuine Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) with Product Key.  We know the current product key came on the CD, we know the product key ending in V7X7H-8VY68-W7D7M came from the internet; what product key (don't post the entire key, just the last three groups of characters) came printed on the CoA?

If you received these materials, please visit http://www.howtotell.com and compare what you purchased to the genuine and counterfeit examples shown there.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:58 PM
  • HELLO DAN !!!

Sorry for my ignorance, but with me i have only the original installation disc of windows xp sp3 pro, and nothing else. I'v lost everything else including the "sticker" (the adessive paper or plastic with the product key),because i don't have anymore that computer that this plastic was on it. Now i have only the original disk and i want to know if i can activate the windows because the trial period is ending, with that disc that i have, the original one????
    I don't have the blue covered thin user guide pamphlet, i don't have the CoA, because i didn't knowed that i had to save everything, but only the disc of installation because i thinked that i could install and activationg the windows only with the disc of installation. The biggest problem is that i don't have anymore the computer with the sticker and i want to activate the windows in another pc.....:(
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:18 PM
  • Hello seldi,

Unfortunately, throwing away the CoA and the pamphlet was like throwing money away. :-(

You will have to purchase another copy of XP and activate it on this computer.  The CD that you have now, without its accompanying CoA, is now just a spare CD with no license---the CoA with its Product Key is the important part.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:11 PM
  • ohhhhh noooo!!!! :-(

Sorry for disturbing Dan, hope having no problems with the other copy now :-(
    Thank you very much for supporting me.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:18 PM