Export Custom Entity for Re-Import Fails RRS feed

• Question

• Dynamics 2011, Update 8, On prem

I can: 

• Export accounts (or contacts or cases i.e. system entities) to excel using the check box at the bottom to "add required fields for re-import" option
      • Save it as XML
      • Edit the fields
      • Save the file
      • Import the XML file and it updates the fields

I can't do this with custom entities.

I always get the error "The records were not updated because the following Microsoft Dynamics CRM fields were not found: Status" when I try and load the xml file.

When I add the status field to the column list (thinking this is what's missing) to the view, the export feature disables to the check box to "add required fields for re-import".  It says I have to remove this field to be able to export for re-import.

I've tried this with 5 different custom entities and I get the same error message.

Does Dynamics support exporting for importing on custom entities?

Thanks

Scott Clancy

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:11 PM

Answers

• Okay sorted this out.

I have a field with the display name status I was including in the views. The field name is ee_GoalsStatus so it's very different than the display name.  Once I removed this field the errors went away from the import.

I modified the field display name to something other than status, published, exported and reimported with out an issue.

It seems very strange the import routine is not considering the real field name which as you know can be different than the display name and could change.

Scott

Scott Clancy

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:36 PM

All replies

• CRM2011 does support reimporting custom entity data yes. Not sure why you are getting that. Is there anything unusual about your custom entities?

Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public     Follow Me on Twitter
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:22 PM
    Answerer
  • No after taking a harder look at it, this is working in my production environment but not my test environment.  Very strange since they are supposed to be exactly the same.

Do you have be on a specific update to get this to work?

Scott  

Scott Clancy

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:34 PM
  • Okay sorted this out.

I have a field with the display name status I was including in the views. The field name is ee_GoalsStatus so it's very different than the display name.  Once I removed this field the errors went away from the import.

I modified the field display name to something other than status, published, exported and reimported with out an issue.

It seems very strange the import routine is not considering the real field name which as you know can be different than the display name and could change.

Scott

Scott Clancy

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:36 PM