Money Passport Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Microsoft Money for years and am still totally reliant on it for tax returns and daily financial works. I have used it almost everyday without trouble but when I went to open my file last week I was prompted to confirm my passport (my id is an old hotmail address)  password. I have used finger print recognition  to log in for years without a problem. I am 90% confident I know my password but there is a possibility I changed it some years ago. From reading previous posts on this topic I see it is recommended to disconnect from the internet before logging in and use a backup. When I try this (even on a different computer) I get a message saying I must go online to verify my log in information. I cannot get any further without going online so I am stuck with the same problem. 

I am using the UK version 14.0.120.1105 on Vista - I have tried installing on a different computer but still have the problem. Because of the importance of the data I have kept regular backups and they are now no use if I cannot read them. My backup files are 170 MB so I have a lot of data I could not possibly recreate. HELP!!

Sunday, December 17, 2017 9:42 PM

Answers

• I assume that you had Money remember your password, and now you no longer remember the password you used years ago. You need to use the exact password that was in effect when the Microsoft servers were turned off. Any changes to your passport were no longer being updated in your Money file and your registry after that time, sometime around 2010 or 2011. Your only hope is to sit down with a pad and pen and try to remember all of your old passport passwords. Sorry that there is no magic way to get into your file without it, but Money was designed to be secure, with no backdoor to get around a forgotten password.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Monday, December 18, 2017 3:18 AM

All replies

• I assume that you had Money remember your password, and now you no longer remember the password you used years ago. You need to use the exact password that was in effect when the Microsoft servers were turned off. Any changes to your passport were no longer being updated in your Money file and your registry after that time, sometime around 2010 or 2011. Your only hope is to sit down with a pad and pen and try to remember all of your old passport passwords. Sorry that there is no magic way to get into your file without it, but Money was designed to be secure, with no backdoor to get around a forgotten password.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Monday, December 18, 2017 3:18 AM
  • Many thanks Bob - going back to pre 2010 has given the information I needed. All sorted now. Great relief.
    Monday, December 18, 2017 5:25 PM
  • Many thanks Bob - going back to pre 2010 has given the information I needed. All sorted now. Great relief.

I am happy it has worked out for you. I was afraid there would be no good outcome for you. I suspect the scare has you reviewing your backup policies. You might even consider some off-site backup such as cloud. I have a friend who had a fire that took the old photos and more.  Just avoid having the active *.mny file in the cloud where every thing you do gets mirrored realtime into the cloud.

Money Plus (for North American files) has a nice mutli-version backup built in. A problem that solves is if your file gets corrupt, the upon-exit backup could back up that corruption. If you had the backup from last week or last month, that could save you.

There are various techniques. If you posted a thread with a question on that topic, I expect you could read some easy-enough solutions that people use.

Monday, December 18, 2017 6:38 PM