What do you think? Scheduled Tasks add-in for client computers.... RRS feed

• Question

• What do you think about this idea?

A WHS add in that allows you to configure scheduled tasks that will be "pushed" to client computers.

The problem I have with the idea is add-ins in general are rather simple, being designed for a less-sophisticated user base.  An add-in can't know everything you could possibly do with a command line, so you would end up with a basic "type in the scheduled task command line here".

This seems more like a sys-admin type of add-in, not the kind of add-ins we are getting right now.

What do you think?

Dan

Saturday, May 24, 2008 3:53 AM

All replies

• DDanster,

I thought I read here once that some sort of "push" comand via an add-in and WHS was not really possible or would take a great amount of effort.

I know you can set up automatic Windows updates to push to clients, but the add-in thing I thought was no possible...HMmm.

Any ideas guys/gals?
    Saturday, May 24, 2008 1:10 PM
  • It's possible to run scheduled tasks, etc. remotely right now. The requirements are so arcane, and the need in the home environment is so rare, that I honestly don't see the point, but it could be done even without an add-in. And if you can do it without an add-in, I would say taht there must be a way to do it with an add-in. Though I (again) don't really understand why you would need that sort of control over your home users' computers. And if you do, wouldn't a more full-featured approach (i.e. SBS) be a better answer?
    Saturday, May 24, 2008 4:57 PM