Remote Access - Linksys WCG200 - Comcast RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having challenges getting remote access set up.  I'm using Comcast and a Linksys WCG200 (V2)  Cable Gateway.  Things appear to work ok when using the home server automatic setup for a bit, but then quits as does my internet access which requires me to reset the gateway.  Any advice on getting this setup to work for remote access?  I've seen several posts about port forwarding and such, but can't seem to translate that into how to manaully set up the WCG200. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks! J

Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:06 AM

All replies

• So it works fine until your router locks up and requires a restart?

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:04 AM
  • Yes it seems to be ok for a bit, then the remote access becomes unavailable....

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:20 AM
  • Only remote access? Or your whole internet connection dies as well?

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:22 AM
  • whole interenet, goes to "local only" and I have to go reset the gateway

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:33 AM
  • Nasty. Most likely that's not a configuration issue. Have you had any problems with the router before? If you turn off the port forwarding, does the router stay up 24/7?

Have you checked Linksys for firmware updates?

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:35 AM
  • Turned off the port forwarding and the remote access stuff on the home server, still has the issue.  brand new gateway, never had the issue with previous version of the same gateway....

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:37 AM
  • Sounds like a call to linksys, or a return to the store, is in order. Nature of electromechanical devices, unfortunately.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:39 AM
  • any recommendations of hardware that actually works with home server and comcast reliably?

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:43 AM
  •  jayrum wrote:

any recommendations of hardware that actually works with home server and comcast reliably?

To be honest, the brand/model is probably fine; it's most likely just a bum unit.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:45 AM
  • Reset the modem to factory settings, works fine and keeps the internet connection.  No problems until the home server tries to use Upnp to set up the gateway.  Wondering if I would be better off setting the gateway manually?

Friday, February 1, 2008 2:28 AM
  • It'd be worth a try, definitely. My feeling is that if it's UPnP causing the problem, the router would lock up during the UPnP negotiation, not at an indeterminate time after that.

Friday, February 1, 2008 2:38 AM
  • I've seen things like this happen before in some linksys routers that have flaky UPnP code.  Best bet is to do the following:

Go into the WHS box and undo the router config settings, this basically turns off UPnP and the WHS attempt to config your router.

Go into the router and turn off UPnP

Then go to DMZ and turn that on to point to the WHS box

Do your remote access testing and if all works, turn off DMZ and forward ports individually

Make sure if you perform manual port forwarding that you set a static LAN IP on the WHS box.  This is critical to keep everything working.   You can see the tutorials over at http://www.MyHomeServer.com for tutorials on setting a static IP an others. 
    Friday, February 1, 2008 1:16 PM