none
Upgrading to Gigabit NIC RRS feed

• Question

• Right now, I'm using the onboard NIC on a fairly old Intel 845 motherboard, which is limited to 100Mbps.

My intent is to install a decent Intel PCI Gigabit NIC and use that instead of the motherboard port.  My planned upgrade path is as follows:

#1  Install Gigabit NIC
    #2  Boot Server, connect via Remote Access, install drivers.
    #3  Assign new IP Address to second NIC.
    #4  Disable old NIC and begin using new NIC.

Any perceived issues with this plan?

Sunday, December 2, 2007 10:15 PM

Answers

• That should work fine.  I would connect a keyboard and do it on the server directly.  Then go and reboot all other machines on your network and let them find the new IP.  15 minutes max.
    Monday, December 3, 2007 11:15 PM

All replies

• That may work. I did a similar upgrade, but didn't want to risk that the old NIC would still work with the new NIC in place. I put the driver for the new NIC on a diskette and installed from there. The only challenging part was finding a blank diskette -- I used to have thousands of them. You could also use a USB thumbdrive or a CD. (All assuming that your box has some of these peripherals, of course.)

The NIC I addded was a US Robotics USR997902A. I got the Windows Server 2003 driver from their UK Web site. (It's not on the US Web site, for some reason.)

Monday, December 3, 2007 8:09 PM

• That should work fine.  I would connect a keyboard and do it on the server directly.  Then go and reboot all other machines on your network and let them find the new IP.  15 minutes max.
    Monday, December 3, 2007 11:15 PM