translating a scanned document RRS feed

• Question

• I scanned a text document and saved it as a .JPG.  I then inserted it into Word and saved it as a Word Document.  Is it possible to get this letter translated from French to English using Microsoft Word as a .jpg or a .doc?  I tried and the translation screen and it says it is Done, but there is nothing.   Should I have saved it another way when I scanned it?  Can you walk me through the steps, if it is possible to scan this as is?

Thanks

Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Winkipop,

Translator does not process image files directly. You will need to use an OCR (optical character recognition) function to convert the letter into characters before translation.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/about-optical-character-recognition-ocr-HP003081255.aspx

Chris Wendt
    Microsoft Translator

Sunday, March 6, 2011 3:59 PM
  • If you are having the Microsoft Office fully installed you would be having "Microsft Office Document Imaging" installed. You can go to Start Menu-> Programs -> Microsoft Office Tools -> find it there.

Prepare a tif file of the word document you are having. You can do this by printing it into a FAX or printing the document on the Microsoft Document Imaging printer. Open the file in the "Microsft Office Document Imaging" and from the File Menu choose "Recognise Text Using OCR". I am using Microsoft Office 2003.

Otherwise you can use some online Image to Text converter.

Save the file as HTML now and pass it to the translator.

- CandorZ

Monday, March 21, 2011 9:19 AM