Live Mesh GacBase huge: cleaned it up, but is this expected behavior? RRS feed

• Question

• While I haven't been a religious Live Mesh Tester, I do use it quite often.  My main mashine is a Vista 32 desktop, but I have a Vista 32 laptop I use on my somewhat infrequent road/conference trips.  Today I noticed the C: drive on the laptop was almost full (a 50gb partition).  I poked around some, found my user account was quite large, and followed down the rabbit hole to Users/<username>/Appdata/local/Microsoft/Live Mesh, to find it was over 13gb.  All of this bloat was confined to /GacBase, and as my main reason for searching this out was to clean up the machine and not test Live Mesh (sorry :P), when I saw "CleanUpMoe.bat", I ran it.

This immediately brought the GacBase folder down from 13+gb to its current 148mb.

I did the same thing on my desktop, reducing a 6+gb folder again to 150mb

Of course I should have run the CollectMoeLogs.bat before I ran these, sorry for not thinking ahead.  I did do a log dump post, if that helps.

Anyway obviously this probably shouldn't be happening.  I just checked with a fellow Live Mesh user and her GacBase is small, so could have been a one time messup of my Live Mesh folders, I've been adding/deleting folders etc.

Any others seeing large GacBase folders?
    Friday, August 15, 2008 6:46 PM

Answers

• yves707, I recommend that you submit a bug on this - How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

As I understand it, if you exceed the 5 gig limit, all files above that limit will sync peer to peer only.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, August 18, 2008 8:00 PM
    Monday, August 18, 2008 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Kip,

If the files you cleaned up were .fnl or .prt files, you may want to look at this thread.  Thanks in advance for submitting your logs.  Please feel free to post your Connect Feedback ID here.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Friday, August 15, 2008 6:55 PM
  • i´ve got a similar problem. live mesh seems to sync only into the gacbase-folder. this folder gets bigger and bigger but the files never show up in the folder actually to be synced. instead there appear only the live mesh placeholders.

so the problem i have now: on each of the computers there are many files deleted and replaced by the live mesh placeholder. the "real" files are now in the gacbase-folder (and stay there until forever?!?). this also happens to files that are on all machines. why do they have to be touched/replaced by live mesh?!?!

maybe interested to notice: i switched off sync with live desktop. but i also tried with live desktop sync on. same result.
    why did i switch live desktop off? i´m not sure what happens if i sync a folder with more than 5 gb. what happens to the data above 5 gb. will it be synced at least to the other devices? or will the sync process just stopped for the folder when you have reached the limit of 5 gb?

my folders are a real mess now. now idea what to do. live mesh is still syncronising. no idea what the final result will be. maybe all the gacbase-files will be copied to intended position at the end. but with the current speed it might take another 3 months till i know... ;) maybe i should just switch back to synctoy....

PLEASE HELP!!!
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 11:24 AM
  • yves707, I recommend that you submit a bug on this - How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

As I understand it, if you exceed the 5 gig limit, all files above that limit will sync peer to peer only.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, August 18, 2008 8:00 PM
    Monday, August 18, 2008 5:37 PM
  • Should he have ran CleanUpMoe.bat? I was about to do the same, but after getting a folder unlinked from the mesh and having to re-sync it all over again I am scared to do that.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:01 AM
  • yes. where do i find the cleanupmoe.bat ? can't seem to find mention of it except here

thanks.

Sunday, June 13, 2010 7:50 AM
  • yes. where do i find the cleanupmoe.bat ? can't seem to find mention of it except here

thanks.

I have no clue - you've replied to a thread almost 2 years old.

See - 

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windowslive/archive/2010/06/10/coming-soon-windows-live-sync-beta.aspx

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:50 PM