Morro! What, when, how, where, will? RRS feed

• Question

• Ok Morro is the new free replacement of WLOC right? I'm a vista user, so...if I were to get Morro do I have to use any other things as well sence Morro dosen't use a firewall? I only care for security from the hazards of the web. Yes I'm a nut when it comes to not having harmful ware on my computer.

When will it be out?

How and where can I download this at?

Will WLOC vanish from my computer forcing me to download an alternative protection like AVG-free until Morro is released?

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 4:54 PM

Answers

• Morro will not, to the best of our knowledge, have a Firewall. Since Vista has a firewall, that will be enabled. Think of Morro as building on the spyware protection of Defender by providing anti-virus protection. Beyond that, I have no new information on availability or how the transition will be handled.
    What I expect is that Morro will be made available for a beta download in the near future (think weeks to months) since it was expected to be available in the 2nd half of 2009. Note that 2nd half could still be December. :-)
    And, I expect that once it is available for release (out of beta), existing OneCare subscribers will receive a notification about how to switch.
    You will *not* be able to install the beta of Morro unless you remove OneCare.
    OneCare will not disappear from your PC, but it is possible that the transition will include an installer that removes OneCare, enables the Windows Firewall, and then installs Morro.
    As a OneCare subscriber, your subscription (and OneCare) will remain in effect until it expires or the end of 2010, whichever comes first.
    If your OneCare subscription expires before Morro is made available at least as a beta, you will need to do one of the following:
    -renew your OneCare subscription
    -remove OneCare and use other security until Morro is available (Avast is free - www.avast.com )
    -leave OneCare in an expired state on the PC through the grace period, typically 2 weeks or so after expiration, or remove it immediately and reinstall in trial mode (repeating every 15 days - yikes!)

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:02 PM

All replies

• Morro will not, to the best of our knowledge, have a Firewall. Since Vista has a firewall, that will be enabled. Think of Morro as building on the spyware protection of Defender by providing anti-virus protection. Beyond that, I have no new information on availability or how the transition will be handled.
    What I expect is that Morro will be made available for a beta download in the near future (think weeks to months) since it was expected to be available in the 2nd half of 2009. Note that 2nd half could still be December. :-)
    And, I expect that once it is available for release (out of beta), existing OneCare subscribers will receive a notification about how to switch.
    You will *not* be able to install the beta of Morro unless you remove OneCare.
    OneCare will not disappear from your PC, but it is possible that the transition will include an installer that removes OneCare, enables the Windows Firewall, and then installs Morro.
    As a OneCare subscriber, your subscription (and OneCare) will remain in effect until it expires or the end of 2010, whichever comes first.
    If your OneCare subscription expires before Morro is made available at least as a beta, you will need to do one of the following:
    -renew your OneCare subscription
    -remove OneCare and use other security until Morro is available (Avast is free - www.avast.com )
    -leave OneCare in an expired state on the PC through the grace period, typically 2 weeks or so after expiration, or remove it immediately and reinstall in trial mode (repeating every 15 days - yikes!)

-steve
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:02 PM
  • Hmm, thank you very much! As well as for the quick answer! Usualy sites take forever if they ever get back to you. But anyway, so basicly my OneCare will stay in effect till I can get Morro on it, but would it be wise to put beta on and remove WLOC or just leave WLOC until the definite version of Morro is released? But when the full version of Morro comes up I can expect to get a message saying, "Hey do you want to install Morro?" yada yada.

Also pretaining the topic question but will Microsoft start updating my computer firewalls and stuff when Morro comes out like they update WLOC?
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:16 PM
  • You're welcome. You just happened to post when I was looking for new activity in the forum. :-)
    If you want to try the beta when it is available, that is up to you. I don't know what form the transition messaging will take - it could be an email to subscribers or it could be a message in OneCare around release time or when your subscription expires.
    As far as I know, Morro will only update itself. It might include some recommendations ala Windows Security Center regarding settings for Automatic Updates and the firewall, for example, but it is strictly an antimalware program, according to the original press release.
    -steve
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:43 PM