Multiple Leads to Contacts via Code RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
        I have leads data from which I want to convert them into contact,opportunity and not an account.
    I have 3 leads from the same company but the full name is different that means 3 different persons with different designations from same company

My question is:
    I want to convert the lead into an opportunity and a contact but not an account.when I convert a lead to a contact ,I want the other 2 leads to be converted to contacts too automatically as they belong to the same company.

How can I do that.Please let me know if my question is not that clear.

Thx in Advance
    Monday, October 5, 2009 10:47 AM

Answers

• I wouldn't agree that a company name can be an account.  One is a string the other an instance of a class -- one can be compared on a series of characters the other by GUID or a business definition.  Since it's entirely possible that two Accounts exist having the same name -- though different addresses -- I don't see a legitimate data base method for assigning an Account to your Lead.

But you don't actually say that that is what you want to do.

I could imagine that one could build a plugin that fires on the conversion event to find other qualifying Leads for conversion but that requires a definition of "qualifying" -- I don't understand how you expect us outside of your organization to answer that business definition.

So I assume you're not asking that (in fact, I asked you that.)

I don't get why you keep highlighting "and not account".  OK, don't convert to Account.

Hopefully my quandries will help you understand your challenge.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:31 PM

All replies

• Your question is not clear.

If one lead converts to a contact you want to find all the leads in the same company and convert them as well?

Have you decided how you are going to decide when the company is the same?  Do you actually have the same Account record associated or just the account name field?
    Monday, October 5, 2009 7:33 PM
  • Mardukes.

My question is:

I have 3 leads which belong to same company that means 3 contacts from the same company.

I would convert 1 of the 3 leads to a contact (just contact). As I am converting the lead to Contact and not account I have the company name populated in the Address 1 Name field .During this process I would like to convert the other leads to contacts automatically.

Have you decided how you are going to decide when the company is the same?  this is my question.

IN A SIMPLER WAY

I have a contact and an account.

I have 20000 lead records .Some lead records have the same company name which is already an existing Account.I would like to sort them and convert to a contact automatically.

Can you please guide me in the right direction about the approach..

Thx in Advance

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 6:27 AM
  • I wouldn't agree that a company name can be an account.  One is a string the other an instance of a class -- one can be compared on a series of characters the other by GUID or a business definition.  Since it's entirely possible that two Accounts exist having the same name -- though different addresses -- I don't see a legitimate data base method for assigning an Account to your Lead.

But you don't actually say that that is what you want to do.

I could imagine that one could build a plugin that fires on the conversion event to find other qualifying Leads for conversion but that requires a definition of "qualifying" -- I don't understand how you expect us outside of your organization to answer that business definition.

So I assume you're not asking that (in fact, I asked you that.)

I don't get why you keep highlighting "and not account".  OK, don't convert to Account.

Hopefully my quandries will help you understand your challenge.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:31 PM