WHS Reload.... RRS feed

• Question

•  

I did a little research and discoverd that Boot Disk errors are not uncommon, not sure why just running Check Disk caused my MBR to disappear but it did and apparently is has happened to others too.  Anyway, I disconnected my Drobo unit (used as my main storage pool) and checked the machine over, all seems well and after recreating my RAID1 pair, I reinstalled WHS.  Not nearly as painful as anticipated, even with loading drivers and updateing the OS I was done in about 2 hours.  It was much easier the fourth time round......

As always, I may have done myself injury by not reading my books before the re-load.  By re-loading WHS without my Drobo attached I may have made system recovery harder if not impossible.  After reading though my books it appears that leaving the Drobo attached may have been the key to recovering the entire server.  If I try to re-add the Drobo now, WHS will want to reformat the drive trashing nearly 60Gb of music files I spent 4 days loading to the WHS Shared Music folder.  Really would like to avoid that if at all possible.

Looks like my only option now is to connect the Drobo, then boot the server from the DVD and re-re-load WHS.  Anyone know - if I do this - will WHS eventually re-connect to the files it left behind?  Will the music still play?

LJ 

Friday, May 2, 2008 11:45 AM

Answers

•  ButteM wrote:
    Is there a way to add the Drobo back into the storage pool where WHS doesn't reformat the drive, it has already been formatted by WHS.  Finally, if I plug the Drobo back into the server and then re-re-load WHS will it pick up the already fromatted drive?
    There is no supported method of adding a drive containing data to the storage pool without losing that data. That includes transferring a WHS storage pool disk to a different server (which a new installation effectively is). As for the DRM issues, if I remember correctly you're ripping this music yourself. Why are you using DRM in the first place? I'm sure the music industry is happy...

Reinstallation: You will have that option if all the secondary drives in your storage pool are visible during the initial phase of setup. If the drobo needs drivers, you will have to supply them then, and later in the installation process as well (just after the first reboot, at the "Press F6" prompt). If you don't have all the secondary drives available at the beginning of setup, then reinstallation is not going to be an option.
    Monday, May 5, 2008 12:38 PM

All replies

• If you have space on your system drive, reconnect the drobo but don't add it to the storage pool. Then copy the files off of the drobo to the appropriate shares. Finally, add the drobo back into the storage pool. If you don't have space on your system drive, copy the files on the drobo off to some other PC in your house, then back to the server after you've added the drobo to the pool.
    Friday, May 2, 2008 12:12 PM
  • Working with DRM protected media like the 60Gb of music files I had stored on my Drobo might be an issue.  I have already discoverd that simply moving those files separates them from the licenses needed to play and stream those files.  If I copy them to another drive and then re-copy to WHS when the Drobo has been re-added to the storage pool might make them inoperative.  Does anyone know?

Is there a way to add the Drobo back into the storage pool where WHS doesn't reformat the drive, it has already been formatted by WHS.  Finally, if I plug the Drobo back into the server and then re-re-load WHS will it pick up the already fromatted drive?

LJ

Monday, May 5, 2008 11:49 AM
  •  ButteM wrote:
    There is no supported method of adding a drive containing data to the storage pool without losing that data. That includes transferring a WHS storage pool disk to a different server (which a new installation effectively is). As for the DRM issues, if I remember correctly you're ripping this music yourself. Why are you using DRM in the first place? I'm sure the music industry is happy...

Reinstallation: You will have that option if all the secondary drives in your storage pool are visible during the initial phase of setup. If the drobo needs drivers, you will have to supply them then, and later in the installation process as well (just after the first reboot, at the "Press F6" prompt). If you don't have all the secondary drives available at the beginning of setup, then reinstallation is not going to be an option.
    Monday, May 5, 2008 12:38 PM