WHS Shuts down Unexpectedly Every day or two. RRS feed

• Question

• This is my first experience with a Windows server on my own. And I must say I am quite disapointed, but thats another day another story.

The issue we are having with this install is it will just shut down unexpectedly and the only two error messages I am getting in my evene viewer are.

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer IRENE that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{57747651-91D3-44CD-864. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The previous system shutdown at 11:25:47 PM on 5/19/2008 was unexpected.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

It's always the same story It gets the message that it thinks "Irene" is the msater browser not too sure what that means then it shuts down. Unfortunately I have never been in to whitness this.

This machine is run strictly as a file server. And the only thing I have installed are the ASUS drivers from the disc that came with the main board. And everything ran great until about a week later when I tried installing anti virus. I have installed AVG which I may think is the culpurate but I am at school right now so I can't uninstalll it at this moment I was just hoping maybe someone knew of a possible solution off hand.

Thanks

EDIT: I forgot to mention this morning the system has a Energizer UPS that I have hooked up to it but the system would never reconize it on the USB and I have yet to be able to find the drivers for it. It just sees it as a human interface device.  I ended up leaving the USB plugged in and the computer plugged to the UPS. I am not sure if that would make any difference.
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 5:06 PM

All replies

• The Master Browser election is a normal process and not normally something to be concerned about, however you could disable it in the Client computer 'Irene' by opening Regedit and  then browse to: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters

then edit the MaintainServerList to be No.

Note that AVG do not, as yet, produce any software suitable for Windows Home Server and others have noted problems with it's interference with WHS operations.

Also, when building your server, you did use Server 2003 versions of any drivers required? Other versions can create all sorts of problems as well.

Colin

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 5:24 PM
  • You should start by removing AVG antivirus. avast! is available for Windows Home Server, and F-Secure has a product in the pipeline (in a public beta test right now) but no other anti-malware vendors have products for WHS yet.

The master browser message is innocuous.
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 6:06 PM
  • I just removed AVG from the machine, and I am getting ready to disable the master browser in Irenes computer. I am hoping this solves my issues I am keeping my fingers crosssed.

Many of the drivers I used that came off the Asus CD were either for XP or 2000. And the Nvidia drivers were Windows 2003 specific. The thing that makes me think the drivers are fine is everything was okay until AVG came along so I am really hoping its that if not its off to finding the Windows 2003 specific drivers, those are the ones I need corret?

Thanks for the advise.
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008 8:14 PM
  • Another thing I forgot to mention, after all this happened I started getting this error on my logon screen. "At Least one Service or Driver failed during startup. Use event viewer to examine the event log for details."

The only errors that I have though are in the "Application" tab. The source is Windows Search Service, I was cosidering uninstalling this program as I see no need for it. Could that be causing my problems?

These are exact two errors one right after another exactly at the startup time.

The entry <C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ADMINISTRATOR\MY DOCUMENTS\ERROR.JPG> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
        Unspecified error
     (0x80004005)

The entry <C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ADMINISTRATOR\MY DOCUMENTS\ERROR.JPG> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
        Unspecified error
     (0x80004005)

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 8:38 PM
  • Well the bad news is the problem is still there. The system shut down at about 12:02AM. And when i rebooted this morning I found this Error message in the applications thread.

Faulting application UPSMON_Service.Exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.2.3790.4062, fault address 0x0000bee7.

When I see UPS in there it makes me think something did not get fully uninstalled maybe from when I tried installing the UPS software.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:12 PM
  • Well, there have been previous posts regarding some UPS software not playing well with WHS, so that could well be a contributory factor. If you can't chase up the particular software, you may have to do a server Re-Install. It's no great problem as it will retain all your data etc., but you would have to re-add your Clients and any Add-Ins etc.

Colin

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:32 PM
  • I just tried removing it, but I just doubt this will solve it.

Would you recommend just booting off the cd and installing over this install, or backing everything up and doing a fresh format and install?
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:42 PM
  • I have a 'test' WHS server, which I regularly re-install, as I've found it the quickest way to get back to a known state. I've never had any problems with the data on the other drives, (this is a multi-disk system,) The only drawback is the time taken to rebuild all the tombstones, (pointers to the actual data,) this can take hours, or even days if there is a large amount of data.

If you are really concerned, you could copy the important data to another drive outside the storage pool, either still on the WHS, or on another computer.

Colin

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:13 PM
  • Thanks for the advice, I think for safetys sake I will just back them files up to my usb hd. I can't afford to let these documents get lost they are too important to the business.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2008 7:01 PM
  • Well this moring I found some new messages in the event log which may be causing my problem. They are not labeled at errors in their icons rather as information. But these are the last 2 events that happened before the machine shut down.

The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service has been idle for 15 minutes, it will be shut down.

The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service suspended operation.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:14 PM
  •  

Hi,

Well, those two messages are just informational messages and are 'normal' in a lot of situations.I'm not sure how this service got to be started on your server, but If this service is started and it is not used by any client for 15 minutes, it will detect this idle and automatically stop. This process will initiate the above events in Event Viewer.

I really don't think this can have any bearing on your problems unfortunately.

To reassure you, page and this page refers.

I think that a re-install will now be the quickest and most secure way of getting you back up and running. As you say, copying the files will give you the security as they are important. At least you will get the experience of a server re-install!

Good luck,

Colin

Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:01 PM
  • Did you put your WHS server into a domain?  If so, it will shut down as this is not supported.  Leave it in a workgroup.

Friday, May 23, 2008 6:32 PM
  • Great advice..  Thanks..  Took it off the domain and its staying up...
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 5:48 PM
  • mine still shuts down every few days. very annoying. It is only in Workgroup.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:58 PM