Live help and missing disc drive RRS feed

• General discussion

• how do i get a live person to "chat" with to fix my problem? i know there is one but cant find the site. also trying to make my monthly backup disc with live onecare, my main disc drive E disapeared. just vanished not shut off. it happened before and you had to go to regedit i think and deleted some high and low files. but i forgot how and where they were at.  any help is appriciated. live onecare email help is no help at all. been trying to fix this little 5 min problem since friday and no end in sight.

thanks allot

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 1:38 PM

All replies

•  

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Is the E: drive an optical drive - CD/DVD? Is it missing from Windows Explorer?

If so, try this utility: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

Is the E: drive an external USB hard disc? Can it be accessed through Windows Explorer. Have you tried removing it and reconnecting it and verifying that the power to the drive is on?

-steve

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:14 PM
  • No it did not help at all. the web site for live careone is the same email i said sucked. last week somehow i got hold of a LIVE person that immediatly took care of my problem. you know like. may i help you sir?? and yes you can, i have a problem...  . E drive is a cd/dvd   it is a lite-on 20-a1h ata. i need online chat. i went to regedit, htkey etc.... and deleted the upper and lower filters to no effect. under device manager D drive is listed ( but onecare wont recognize it for reinstalling the back up cd) but E is not, it is an internal drive,  a Lite-On 20-A1H ata cd/dvd player and burner. the other is a sony dvd-rom DDU1615 ata.    on the missing lite-on it is listed under device manager but under  other devices and it has  the drivers for this device not installed code 28.    under the registry editor, 0000  and 0001   the device data driver is in blue instead of red.  type  reg_binary    data  00 80 8c a3 c5 94 c6 01      and under properties i get a error opening key, no number or anything. there are no upper or lower filters on it.   lite-on says that they have no drivers that they are all supplied by window.  it is turned on and opens and closes. i have rebooted many times also.  also the xp-cd download above did nothing. sorry.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 6:26 PM
  • The link to the FAQ post on how to reach support explains how to get to your support options through validating your subscription.

Remove the drive from Device Manager completely. Reboot the PC and let windows detect it.

-steve

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:10 PM
  • no it did not work. the drivers are missing. the automatic update comes up and when i hit auto search i get this

windows found driver software for our device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

Roxio Cdr4

the system cannot find the file specified

this is under device manager /  other.  lite-on cd/dvd

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:55 AM
  • Hmmm.....

Is Roxio a recent addition to your PC or was it updated recently?

It is, of course, entirely possible that the drive itself has failed despite the fact that it is responding to the drawer open/close and is detected by the operating system in Device Manager.

I find it strange that Windows could not install the drivers - that would seem to indicate a hardware problem.

-steve

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 12:43 PM
  •  

STEP 1 - UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL THE DEVICE DRIVERS

1. turn on your computer.

2. press the F8 key repeatedly until the first screen appears.

3. highlight the area where it says  SAFE MODE, and press ENTER.

4. Enter your desktop, and RIGHT-click MY COMPUTER.

5. select PROPERTIES

6. select DEVICE MANAGER.

7. click the "+" symbol against DVD/CD-ROM drives.

8. RIGHT-click the device under DVD/CD-ROM and select UNINSTALL.

9. RESTART the computer and press F10 to enter system utility.

10. under the EXIT menu, highlight the option "LOAD SETUP DEFAULTS"

11. click ENTER

STEP 2 - CHANGING REGISTRY IN WINDOWS VISTA

1. on your desktop, click START.

2. type REGEDIT in the start search box, click OK

3. click the "+" next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

4. click "+" next to SYSTEM

5.  click "+"  next to CURRENTCONTROLSET

6. click "+" next to CLASS

7. in the left hand window pane click {4D36E965-E325-11CEBFC1-08002BE10318} to select that key.

8. in the right hand window pane select the UpperFilters registry key and press the delete key on your computer keyboard.

9. in the right havd window pane select the LowerFilters registry key and press the delete key on your computer keyboard.

10. Close the window by clicking "X" in the upper right hand corner of the Registry Editor window to close it.

What ever software that wasn't installed on your computer when you purchased it my need to be uninstalled then reinstalled again, because it will recognized that you have an unauthorized driver, example: subscription to netflix, itunes, rhapsody.... (you get the picture), but your built-in software should be ok, example: windows media player.

HOPE THIS FINDS YOU WELL.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:12 PM
  • No it did not help. it killed my computer. i got to the last step in part 1 hit F5, restore and save. and it will not restart up. it gets the warning that the cpu fan will fail or run slow.  something to that effect since i had to take it to the shop to get repaired. costing me plenty of time and money. all the errors and paperwork i had copied down with it also went so i have to try from memory to put down here what went wrong.  the only things i could do were to get back into the system management screens and there was no redo from the last same that you had me do. i dont know what else to say until the repair man calls and tells me the bill and what was wrong with it.

jturk

Saturday, May 3, 2008 1:07 PM
  • Sorry you've been unable to resolve this, but based on your latest information, it sounds like a hardware problem. Removing drivers and reinstalling the device should not cause an error about the CPU fan. I'll be interested to read what you learn from the tech who is now working on your PC.

-steve

Monday, May 5, 2008 4:19 PM
  • I have a Windows Vista operating system.  And my CD/DVD drives seem to be on here but will not work.  Can you tell me what I need to do?

Monday, June 30, 2008 10:17 PM
  • Please follow the steps below these also work for both XP and Vista:

For more detailed information on these steps please follow this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Important: These steps also contain information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, follow the link below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986

1.  Open the Registry by going to Start then Run and type in REGEDIT then hit OK. Check the Registry Key below in Registry Editor:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} 

2. Delete any entries for LowerFilters.bak, UpperFilters and UpperFilters.bak

3. Now lets check for other keys below the main registry and delete all the subdirectories under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. The subdirectories should appear with "0000" and/or "0001" etc., depending on the number of CD\DVD devices currently connected to the system.

Note: Do not delete the Properties key.

4. Open Device Manager and delete the CD/DVD device then restart the system.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 12:26 AM